Mechanical Hairpin

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by ceramicwombat, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    My Mechanical Hairpin arrived this week in Royal Blue, Hot Pink, and Black Strong & Flexible. This is the fourth iteration of this model, as the clearances between the six gears had to be tweaked so that they were neither too loose nor fused together. The six gears work in unison to move the three prongs at the head of the hairpin. The prongs hold flowers in place, even when the hairpin is turned upside down.

ThreeHairpins-Web.jpg

BlueHairpin2-Web.jpg

PinkHairpin-Web.jpg

Bun3-Web.jpg

Bun1-Web.jpg

The Hot Pink version moved freely when it arrived. The Royal Blue and Black versions were bound up with powder when they arrived, but I was able to free them by running the head under warm water while gently working the prongs back and forth. I worked the prongs back and forth several times to free trapped powder, and they now move as intended.

Edit: I have added a video of the mechanism working here.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. That's neat! Do you have a video showing how the mechanism works?

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Mechanical and hair sounds potentially painful. Lovely results though!

4. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
    @denali3ddesign Thanks! No, I don't have a video yet of the mechanism in action. I ran out of good light while taking pictures, and central Michigan has been under a constant cloud since then. As soon as I have some sunshine and an extra set of hands I'll make a video.

@Youknowwho4eva Thanks for thinking it's lovely! The mechanism doesn't move when it is holding flowers and I haven't had any hair entrapment incidents with the test subject yet. I'll have to give the extra two hairpins away to other friends so they can test it and see if entanglement will be an issue.

5. MichaelMueller
    MichaelMueller Well-Known Member
    The mechanic is awesome! Really great design!

Michael

6. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Love these! They are perfect for the wedding marketplace.

7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Props! [​IMG]

8. ceramicwombat
    ceramicwombat Member
  9. Clever design. :) Thanks for the video!

10. Oh man, that is super cool looking!

I'm impressed!

Thanks for sharing the design!