Home » Community » It arrived! » Impossible triangle
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Impossible triangle [message #70739] Sun, 30 June 2013 19:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar eriban  is currently offline eriban
Go to my shop
Hi all,

Here's two items that I received today. I am very happy with the result. The quality of the printed items is good. The illusion also works well, at least when viewed with only one eye. When you view it with two eyes, the additional depth perception spoils the illusion, as was expected.

index.php?t=getfile&id=35619&private=0

I am aware that I am not the first to have impossible triangles printed in 3D, but done like this, using cubes, I have not seen before. I think the cubes help to reinforce the illusion.

The photo gives some clues how the illusion has been realized, but in case you are curious about the 3D model, check out the following animation: http://eriban.deviantart.com/art/Impossible-Triangle-Animati on-376637539

These were prototypes. The next step is to have one printed in stainless steel.

Cheers,
Erwin

P.S. Sorry for the poor image quality, but it's the best my ancient mobile phone can do.

Re: Impossible triangle [message #70745 is a reply to message #70739 ] Mon, 01 July 2013 03:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coaster  is currently offline coaster
Go to my shop
cool!!!! just pinched myself to make sure I am sober...............?????????
Re: Impossible triangle [message #71923 is a reply to message #70739 ] Sun, 21 July 2013 10:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My stainless steel version of the triangle arrived last friday. It's great! I had chosen for the Antique Bronze Matte finish and think it looks really good. Now I just need to find a good use for it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=37020&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=37021&private=0

Btw, you may notice the improved image quality compared to the photo of the prototypes. I got myself a digital camera just so I can properly show off this model. I figure it's a good investment as I will quickly get the money back from the sales that will undoubtedly follow. Oh, did I mention I opened a shop? Well, I did, and there you can in fact find some more images:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1144507/impossible-triangle. html

Cheers,
Erwin

• Attachment: DSCN0097b.jpg
    (Size: 130.47KB, Downloaded 413 time(s))

• Attachment: DSCN0097d.jpg
    (Size: 143.42KB, Downloaded 418 time(s))

Re: Impossible triangle [message #71934 is a reply to message #71923 ] Sun, 21 July 2013 16:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Very impressive indeed. Congrats! Thumbs Up

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Impossible triangle [message #72166 is a reply to message #71923 ] Thu, 25 July 2013 09:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Adela  is currently offline Adela
Go to all my models
I work here
I love the stainless steel version so much!
I was staring at it for quite a while and then I gave up. Very Happy
Great design indeed! The idea to include cubes is really cool!
Re: Impossible triangle [message #72429 is a reply to message #72166 ] Wed, 31 July 2013 10:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Oh. Yes! I love this Smile

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Impossible triangle [message #72456 is a reply to message #70739 ] Wed, 31 July 2013 18:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
Yes I love this... very convincing illusion! Well done!

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk
Re: Impossible triangle [message #72504 is a reply to message #72429 ] Thu, 01 August 2013 17:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@Bart: I plan to drop by at Usine next week. I will then bring along this triangle, so you and others can see it in real life.

Cheers,
Erwin
Re: Impossible triangle [message #72544 is a reply to message #72504 ] Fri, 02 August 2013 11:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
AWESOME!! I'd love to see that! (with one eye Wink)

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Impossible triangle [message #73734 is a reply to message #70739 ] Tue, 27 August 2013 11:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Vidalcris  is currently offline Vidalcris
Go to my shop
Awesome idea, well done Wink

Previous Topic:Offset Cube by OSKAR
Next Topic:My 2 hearts arrived but only half printed as I expected

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.