Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70493] Tue, 25 June 2013 17:58 UTC Go to next message
avatar Saks  is currently offline Saks
Go to all my models
WHAT IS IT?
I would like to do a series of photographs called 'Texts in the wild'.
I'd like these to look exactly like the text bubbles on the iphone. I'd like them in 3 colors: green, blue & white.
They would vary in size from single line to a few lines.

EXAMPLES
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/124/2/b/iphone_sms_ty pe_tipo_bubbles_by_dpcomunicacion-d3fjraf.png
http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/iMessage-iOS -5-iPhone-4S1-625x511.jpg

Also see a rough photoshop comp I did to give you an idea of how it would eventually look.

SIZE
I'd like them to be big, about a foot long. Kind of like a balloon.

MATERIAL
Glossy. Maybe even glass?
I imagine I'll photoshop the text on them later...unless that's something that can be done on the model.

I have no idea how to use 3d modelling software (except for basic sketchup). I don't have much money, then again, this is a super simple project.

I can be reached at saksafridi@gmail.com

Thanks
Saks

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2013 18:59 UTC]

Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70502 is a reply to message #70493 ] Tue, 25 June 2013 20:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nickheymer  is currently offline nickheymer
Go to all my models
Haha like this??

You may want to think about scale as 3d printing can get pricey. Also check out the available materials http://www.shapeways.com/materials

-Nick

• Attachment: Bubbles.PNG
    (Size: 489.03KB, Downloaded 67 time(s))

Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70504 is a reply to message #70502 ] Tue, 25 June 2013 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Oh nice! Yes, very much like that. Except can it be transparent?
And out of curiosity, how expensive are we talking about?
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70529 is a reply to message #70504 ] Wed, 26 June 2013 12:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
If you have an idea on size I can upload it to the site and it will tell us, of course I'll hollow out the model to make it cheaper.
As far as transparency goes it depends on what material you choose.

-Nick
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70535 is a reply to message #70529 ] Wed, 26 June 2013 13:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
What's the largest I can go? Would 2 feet long and 8 inches in diameter for the sulk see shape be too big?
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70545 is a reply to message #70535 ] Wed, 26 June 2013 17:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Well if you wanted it to be translucent you would have to go with the frosted detail plastic and max bounding is 298x185x203mm, which would be just shy of a foot.

If you went with the strong flexible, which is the cheapest by unit volume,max bounding is 650x350x550mm which would give you just over 2 feet to work with.

The other thing you could consider is making smaller models and using a telephoto with good depth of field to make em look bigger, this would also help save on costs Smile

-Nick
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70584 is a reply to message #70545 ] Thu, 27 June 2013 13:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
You can see the model here http://shpws.me/ojrR

the whole thing is still small apx 6"x7" box for all three but the price is $100 !
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70633 is a reply to message #70584 ] Fri, 28 June 2013 02:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Your model is set to private, so we can't see it.

But that's about the right price for something that large:
http://stonysmith.com/wired/VolumeEstimator.asp?L=177&W= 152&H=100&T=1

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70654 is a reply to message #70633 ] Fri, 28 June 2013 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
oops, hate it when I do that, now it should be visible.
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70656 is a reply to message #70654 ] Fri, 28 June 2013 15:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Looking at the 3d view.. I can't see any drain holes.
Are you sure the model is hollow?
Often, without the drain holes, any internal geometry is removed, making it solid instead of hollow.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 June 2013 15:02 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Life sized Text Speech Bubble! - Super Simple. [message #70671 is a reply to message #70656 ] Fri, 28 June 2013 18:19 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
there are some half millimeter holes in the back near the little swoosh.

Previous Topic:Anyone wanna make a traincar?
Next Topic:Anyone wanna make a traincar?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.