Home » Support » 3D Applications » iPhone case scale in blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
iPhone case scale in blender [message #69786] Fri, 14 June 2013 03:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar Rayrod72  is currently offline Rayrod72
Go to my shop
I am new to shapeways and somewhat new to blender so I apologize if this is a very basic question.

I downloaded the shapeways basic iPhone case to design my own. The file is found here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/559554/basic-iphone-case-fram e-downloadable.html?li=productBox-search

I imported the .3ds file into blender 2.67 and checked the scale. In blender the length of the case is roughly 4.5 meters when in reality it is 115 mm.

I want to make sure my designs are not too small (less than .02 mm) so I need to be careful with the sizes in my design in blender. i know I can use a ratio to determine the correct sizes but do I need to scale it down to actual size before uploading to print anyways? Is there a quick and effective way of doing this?

Before I found this file I started from scratch and I was using the dimensions Apple posted on their website. I was able to make a correctly scaled model this way.

I had hoped the shapeways case would already be to scale. Is it an effect from importing into blender?

Thank you!
Re: iPhone case scale in blender [message #69791 is a reply to message #69786 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 05:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
[quote

I imported the .3ds file into blender 2.67 and checked the scale. In blender the length of the case is roughly 4.5 meters when in reality it is 115 mm.[/quote]
The file is a .stl ... I would re-import it.
Re: iPhone case scale in blender [message #69831 is a reply to message #69791 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 14:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Rayrod72  is currently offline Rayrod72
Go to my shop
Very odd. When I go back to the page with the file, it is only the bumper. And when I download there is only a certificate for the .stl file. The original file I downloaded indeed has a 3ds file and I was able to open the original .sldprt file by convertingj it to .slt using edrawings and it is only the phone, not the case.

The original 3ds file I opened in blender has the openings for the buttons while the new download that I posted the URL to does not.

Is there a bumper AND a plain case available?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2013 14:42 UTC]

Previous Topic:Polygons visible in printed part (Solidworks)
Next Topic:Getting started with designing for color printing