Home »  » It arrived! » Prototypes – for Silver
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Prototypes – for Silver [message #69723] Wed, 12 June 2013 22:45 UTC Go to next message
avatar bmsleight  is currently offline bmsleight
Go to my shop
Just got my lovely box, second box this week.
index.php?t=getfile&id=34309&private=0

I am working on making a silver version of the cuffelinks. I ordered the prototypes in "Strong and Flexible Plastic". They look excellent and I can not find any flaws in the design.

First the good....
index.php?t=getfile&id=34305&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=34307&private=0

I am going to double-check some design features over the next few days - and then order some Silver versions. Smile

The not so good.

I am printing on the absolute edge of the design rules. I am coding the dimensions to get the price to the lowest point. (http://cuffelink.com/code/?p=cuffelink.git;a=blob;f=hardware/case/thin_parts_case.py;)
I understand I am pushing the design rules to the limit.

However, for a Tie Pin - the black prototypes have come out much better than the white prototypes. In particular the circles are circles in black but not white.:-
index.php?t=getfile&id=34306&private=0

I am printed a prototype parts to convert a cuffelink to tie pin. After seeing the prototype - I am not going to print of this part. So I have not lost anything, but whilst the packaging was great, somehow the white stork was deformed.
index.php?t=getfile&id=34308&private=0

Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #69749 is a reply to message #69723 ] Thu, 13 June 2013 13:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
When you go small, there can be some variations in Nylon prints, especially depending on orientation. For your warped piece, contact service, they should be able to fix at least that one for you.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #69797 is a reply to message #69749 ] Fri, 14 June 2013 08:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hey bmsleight,

it was great to meet you in London and I'm still in love with this concept Wink

Was Customer Service able to help you out?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #69931 is a reply to message #69797 ] Sun, 16 June 2013 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi again Bart,

Thanks for the reply - Customer service, not really.

I having to reverse engineer the full material design rules. The details listed on the website is a very summarised overview of the how minimal walls and thickness works.

Anyway - I ordered some silver versions tonight. Hopefully more bling to some.

BMS
Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #69939 is a reply to message #69931 ] Mon, 17 June 2013 05:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
You probably already know this, but did you see the 'Guidelines' tab on the material pages?

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

These rules are quite extensive. Do they contain enough information for you?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #69951 is a reply to message #69723 ] Mon, 17 June 2013 12:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
To add to what Bart said, there is also this page, liked to on the page he mentioned.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #69989 is a reply to message #69951 ] Mon, 17 June 2013 21:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Guys,

I read and re-read the design guidelines and the tutorials.

http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/design_rules_for_3d_print ing
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver-design-guidelines

I ordered some parts in Silver - 244502. Which were _only_ rejected as the indent being too small. So I re-designed and then I ordered some test prints in "Strong and Flexible Plastic". All models were accepted and printed.

My latest order 257983 is in Silver. Quoting from http://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver-design-guidelines
Min Wall Free: 0.6mm (Regular)
Multiple Part per STL: No, except for earrings & cufflinks

Please can someone explain - why I got the email:-
We're really sorry to let you know that there was a problem with your recent order. These design(s) could not be 3D printed in the material selected:

Cuffelink Metal Top And Bottom 20130616 in Silver
Reason: Thin walls
Additional information: This model is having four shells, this is not allowed for Silver http://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver-design-guidelines

index.php?t=getfile&id=34538&private=0

I am somewhat bemused.

Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #70029 is a reply to message #69989 ] Tue, 18 June 2013 13:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Adela  is currently offline Adela
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi bmsleight,

I have just replied to your email, please check your inbox.
Hopefully the answer was clear enough for you.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Adela
customer service agent, Shapeways*
Re: Prototypes – for Silver [message #70196 is a reply to message #70029 ] Thu, 20 June 2013 18:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Again - another rejection. To fit electronics inside I need to have two parts to each cufflink.

"This is not allowed for Silver, you need to make sure even though these are cufflinks to upload only 2 shells per file."

Yet, I have ordered my part multiple times as four parts in stainless steel and the silver guidelines state: "Multiple Part per STL: No, except for earrings & cufflinks"

Previous Topic:Elasto
Next Topic:A little cross I created in silver

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.