Home » Community » It arrived! » Ell of a puzzle
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ell of a puzzle [message #69402] Fri, 07 June 2013 14:50 UTC
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
This arrived many months ago, but it has taken me this long to dye in 8 colors!

index.php?t=getfile&id=33954&private=0

This puzzle was invented over 25 years ago by Leonard Gordon. It is a box-packing puzzle using 8 identical "L" shaped pieces. Originally devised from pieces made from joined spheres, I made it from truncated rhombic dodecahedra or edge-beveled cubes.

index.php?t=getfile&id=33955&private=0

Four of these pieces interlock into a truncated tetrahedron. "Ell of a puzzle" uses eight pieces, and the puzzle is to pack the pieces into a cubical box. I have sized the pieces so that a golf ball case can be used as a box. The pieces fit snugly together and the final assembly stands on it's own without the box. In contrast, I also made the puzzle from joined spheres and then the assembly will not stand on its own.

index.php?t=getfile&id=33956&private=0

This is a difficult puzzle due to the unusual arrangement of pieces in a box. When the puzzle is solved, 5 colors are visible on each face of the cube. This may help slightly in solving it, but not much.

index.php?t=getfile&id=33957&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=33958&private=0

Previous Topic:My first printed design is here!
Next Topic:Silver earrings, think I pushed the thickness of the silver to the limit here.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.