anyone know how they do this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brick, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Brick
    Brick Member
  2. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    It's not metal. Probably see-through, painted-on, plastic. The leds within, appear through the lightly painted plastic while the construction ensures that the light will come through only the letters and not the rest of the ring.
    Very easy actually (especially if you are a prop maker).

3. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    In the video it sounded like there was some clicking going on when the ring "illuminated." Another possibility is the use of UV activated fluorescent paint and a UV flashlight or other light source.

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    The video appears to be a CGI creation, but the comments thus far are good explanations of how it could be done. If I were to describe a way of doing it I'd 3D print the ring in something like Shapeways' Frosted Detail and have it hollow. For the main body of the ring I'd have something like a 4 mm wall thickness and for the lettering I'd have a 0.5 mm thickness. I'd install an array of yellow and orange LEDs for the lighting. I'd polish the outer surface and have it vacuum metalized in 24k gold. The coating of gold would only be a few atoms thick so that light would go right through and it would work exactly like how a two way mirror works.

5. Brick
    Brick Member
  6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Well then that guy needs to be sent to YouTube jail for being the worst cameraman EVERRRRR! HAHAHA! :laughing: