Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69152] Tue, 04 June 2013 04:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar hytritium  is currently offline hytritium
Go to all my models
Hi I am trying to hollow out and create an escape hole for a color PLY model or a color WRL(with texture maps). I have been able to do this with solid color models in the STL format but no luck with color in PLY or VRML(WRL) format which i need for a specific printer. The model has to be about 2-3mm thick and an escape hole of about 5mm.

The model is somewhat complex as it is a scan of a METEORITE. Cool model but large. A good challenge for someone. Smile

The files can be found at...

http://www.adrive.com/public/EjDXJH/meteorite original solide PLY.zip
http://www.adrive.com/public/wzyMwE/New WRL File - Copy.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please private message me if you can help.

Thank you for your time,

Paul

[Updated on: Tue, 04 June 2013 11:14 UTC]

Re: Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69439 is a reply to message #69152 ] Fri, 07 June 2013 19:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar greensky  is currently offline greensky
Go to my shop
Challenge accepted!

Here is my result.

Regards, Chris

• Attachment: meteorite.zip
    (Size: 15.94MB, Downloaded 14 time(s))

Re: Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69505 is a reply to message #69439 ] Sun, 09 June 2013 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar hytritium  is currently offline hytritium
Go to all my models
Awesome Job Chris!!!!!

Thanks so much for your help. A real plus for forum.

P.S. Love your Zombie Pikachu model.
Re: Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69696 is a reply to message #69152 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 15:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stophlong@yahoo.co.uk  is currently offline stophlong@yahoo.co.uk
Go to all my models
Hi,

I have a model of the inner ear which could use similar help!
It'd be awesome to get a hollow printable version of the attached (with 2mm thick walls for sandstone).
(Lower priority are 0.7mm wall for plastic printing).

Shapeways has accepted the solid model, but...

I keep getting stuck on the last stage of punching a hole in it and getting shapeways to accept it.
Obviously keeping the colors would be great, but if I need to repaint it so be it.

The file is the outer shell (which needs thickening and the hole).

Thanks for considering it!

Stoph

[Edit: removed file; I figured out how to do it in Blender]

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2013 08:11 UTC]

Re: Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69702 is a reply to message #69696 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar greensky  is currently offline greensky
Go to my shop
Hi,

I can help you, but you've uploaded a file without a texture.

Besides I can only make one hole in the middle, because of the design guidelines: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/sandstone-design-guidelin es

Regards, Chris
Re: Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69707 is a reply to message #69702 ] Wed, 12 June 2013 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. The colors were added in meshlab and shapeways does seem to represent them (at least on screen; I'm waiting for my first full color sandstone to arrive...fingers crossed)

Do you not see the colors in your software? I'll upload the x3d file in case that contains the colors.

If not, I'd still be really happy to have a monochrome hollowed-out version that I can color later.

I've been learning to 3D print by trial and many, many errors.

Thanks,

Stoph

[Edit: removed file; I figured out how to do it in Blender]

[Updated on: Fri, 14 June 2013 08:11 UTC]

Re: Help! Need to Hollow out a PLY or WRL color model [message #69866 is a reply to message #69702 ] Sat, 15 June 2013 01:32 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks for your offer to help. I kludged my way through Blender so I think I've got it now (and of course figured out in the process that I actually want to do a different size; etc.)

Sincerely,

Stoph

Previous Topic:3D EXPERT NEEDED
Next Topic:Need help with converting 3dm file to stl file