Home » Support » 3D Printing » Pitting found in Strong-white-flexible print
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pitting found in Strong-white-flexible print [message #69080] Sun, 02 June 2013 11:56 UTC Go to next message
avatar Jsearfino  is currently offline Jsearfino
Go to my shop
Hi,

I ordered a print in strong-white-flexible and there seems to be pitting in one side of the print. How do you think this was caused? Is there something I can change with my design in future situations to prevent the pitting?

Thanks,
Jess

• Attachment: DSCN4197.JPG
    (Size: 2.70MB, Downloaded 42 time(s))

Re: Pitting found in Strong-white-flexible print [message #69081 is a reply to message #69080 ] Sun, 02 June 2013 12:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Looks like stepping, this is normal with WSF:

Quote:

Print lines or "Stepping" - Depending on the shape of your model and orientation in the print tray, you might see print lines, or "stepping" phenomena on your model, which is a natural artifact of 3D printing using the SLS process. SLS printing works by printing layer by layer, and while our layers are around 0.12mm thin, there is a "step" between each layer, much like a staircase. ... read more

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible

Or the full version on:
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines

Quote:

Print lines or "Stepping"
Depending on the geometry of your model and orientation in the print tray, you might see print lines, or "stepping" phenomena on your model, which is a natural artifact of 3D printing using the SLS process. SLS printing works by printing layer by layer, and while our layers are around 0.12mm thin, there is a "step" between each layer, much like a staircase. Certain areas of your model may show this effect more than others, particularly on curved areas. This is also more obvious in smaller items such as model trains or items with gentle curves such as spheres. We make every effort to minimize the print lines in your model, but they are part of the process and cannot be completely eliminated. Please keep this in mind and refer to the images below for a visual guide of what these lines look like. Choosing Polished Strong & Flexible is an option to wear down the print lines somewhat, but you may also lose some of the finer detail in smaller models.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:3D printing in color
Next Topic:Thin Wall or Embossed Detail

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.