What are you making with Elasto Plastic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UniverseBecoming, May 29, 2013.

1. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Elasto Plastic looks really amazing! I can't wait to start working this into my designs! :eek:

See Duann's blog post for further information.

What are you thinking of designing with this?

The first thing that comes to mind for me is a bellows based pneumatic actuator device. I think I'll drop what I'm doing for a bit and make something with this! :D

2. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  3. UniverseBecoming
    Yeah, I find it strange that Shapeways doesn't offer this, but does offer Detail Plastic, which is another Objet material. Didn't they get 30 million dollars to expand? :D Surely, they can afford to add some Connex machines! :laughing:

What scale are you interested in? Can you make a mold from something like Frosted Detail and then cast dyed polyurethane or silicone?

4. GADesign
    GADesign Member
    We love to be flexible in any way possible, this adds a few :D

Our first Elasto design :
    Past winter my dog had some kind of crazy reaction when he was walking in the snow :cry: , he began shaking excessively so i picked him up and the shaking stopped.

This gave me the idea of designing some snow shoes for my dog, the Elasto material is back so this is the time to take the Jack Russel Shoes from idea to Reality. I gave the design a futuristic flair, hoping you don't mind ?

I will order them as soon as possible!

Product Link : http://shpws.me/nZt4

Jack Russel Shoes.jpg

5. I won't be making anything, but somebody has to make the first 3D printed condom

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  6. UniverseBecoming
    Those are cool GADesign! Good thinking! :D

I'd like to see your dog using those in the snow! :eek:

7. UniverseBecoming
    Good one Origami13! hehe :laughing:

8. UniverseBecoming
    I'm still working on the actuator design I have in mind. I only finish about 60% of the designs I work on so we'll see how it goes. :p

9. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I just ordered two models I wanted to try with the previous version of Elasto Plastic:
    the D12 Euro:
    [​IMG]

the Dod Quarter (here printed by Shapeways in the old version of Elasto Plastic):
    [​IMG]

and a new model, the Spring Bracelet (also ordered in WSF for comparison):
    [​IMG]
    The wire is 2mm thick.

Can't wait to have them in my hands...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  10. UniverseBecoming
    Interesting design Magic! :eek:

Ok, here's my first Elasto Plastic design that I just ordered.
    [​IMG]
    It's an air muscle! :D

Based on the properties shown in Duann's video it should flex, but not stretch too much, which should cause it to work like a traditional air muscle. When I get it in my hands I'll test it and report back. :)

11. vandal968
    vandal968 Member
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. UniverseBecoming
    Love the blog so far! :eek: Great illustrations! I've subscribed to see the new things you've come up with. :)

Another benefit of doing it in Elasto Plastic is that one design can conform to a number of different cylinder sizes if needed.

I have DIY CNC equipment too, but no tool changer on my mill. I'll have to take up the project one of these days. :D

13. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    The dice for coins and the spring bracelet arived, super fast (ordered on May 30th, at home on June 5th)! Wow!
    Overall I am very pleased with this new material. I still have to check if the dimensions are faithful to the digital model and I can't wait for dyed versions of Elasto Plastic...

14. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Start dying it Magic! That's part of the purpose of the Maker Material program. Let us know what you want, and how you'd do it.

15. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Well, I never succeeded into dying WSF while Shapeways know how to do it, so I feel not as relevant as Shapeways to make such a trial. This being said, a couple of weeks ago, I bought some Dylon multi-purpose dye. I want to believe that my previous failures were due to the wrong product being used...
    So, why not giving it a try... I will let you know.
    The only remaining problem is that the dye is Emerald Green: more suitable for rings than for bracelets... ;)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  16. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I just ordered some elasto test pieces but in the meantime someone might want to try aniline or alcohol dyes. KoolAid might even work as long as you don't handle it too much afterwards!

17. I recently got a Fitbit Flex, which is a health activity tracking device about the size of a tylenol. It comes with a wrist strap that kinda looks like those "LiveStrong" inpsired bracelets that were all the rage a few years back, and the instructions say you're supposed to wear it on the non-dominant hand. Well I wear a watch, and I can't wear both on my left wrist. And frankly I'm not a fan of wearing bracelets either, so what I came up with is the Fitbit Backpack. It's a little pouch that can slip on to a watch band or other bracelet, and hold the fitbit inside. That way I can wear my watch and still have the Fitbit on.

I'm a first-time modeler and I'm just working with SketchUp, so it's all a little crude. I've ordered a couple versions of this and they're on their way to the printer now. I can't wait to see how they turn out - hopefully they won't need too much adjustment to actually work.

fbholder2.png

18. UniverseBecoming
    Nice Sketchup modeling! :eek:

When you get it in your hands and get it implemented post up some picks of it. I'd be interested to seeing how this comes along. :)

I didn't even know about these things. I may get one for myself since I'm always wondering about my sleep patterns.

Shapeways just started a weekend contest for Elasto Plastic designs, you might like to enter this. :)

19. UniverseBecoming
    To those following this thread by email, you'll be interested to know that Shapeways just started a weekend contest for Elasto Plastic designs. They've upped the weekend contest reward to a $50 voucher to use towards your creation, or any other Shapeways purchase.

I'll be entering my air muscle design as well as anything else I can come up with during the weekend. :D

20. $50 could buy a lot of fitbit backpacks! Well, 9 or 10, anyway. Do I have to post in that thread to enter? It's a little unclear.

I like your air muscle - very clever. Are you in robotics?

Thanks for your comments on my design - I need all the encouragement I can get. I'm going to spend the rest of the weekend trying to think of more things to make with this flexible material...