Home » Support » 3D Design » Creating what is needed to get a part made by Shapeways.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Creating what is needed to get a part made by Shapeways. [message #68667] Sat, 25 May 2013 14:38 UTC Go to next message
avatar lancer31  is currently offline lancer31
Go to all my models
I have been trying to learn to make a 3D drawing to submit to Shapeways, and have tried several different programs, but I can't seem to figure out their
usage. I don't know whether its the jargon they use, or what. I am attaching an example of the end product I would like to produce, which should give you an idea of what I would like to draw;index.php?t=getfile&id=33052&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=33053&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=33054&private=0

Is there an easy-to-learn, straightforward program I should look at?
Thanks for any help!

• Attachment: DSCF0169.JPG
    (Size: 3.75MB, Downloaded 139 time(s))

• Attachment: DSCF0170.JPG
    (Size: 3.70MB, Downloaded 142 time(s))

• Attachment: DSCF0173.JPG
    (Size: 3.72MB, Downloaded 133 time(s))

Re: Creating what is needed to get a part made by Shapeways. [message #68680 is a reply to message #68667 ] Sat, 25 May 2013 17:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
This model is similar to what you want. It was created in AutoCad as one of my exam drawings.
http://tinyurl.com/nujhgym
It was made using solids with boolean commands. Then hollowed.

Autodesk have a range of free software available, that are relatively easy to master, that could create this model.
http://tinyurl.com/3v8dha8

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Creating what is needed to get a part made by Shapeways. [message #68683 is a reply to message #68680 ] Sat, 25 May 2013 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you, JACANT, I will press on with AutoCAD!
Re: Creating what is needed to get a part made by Shapeways. [message #68969 is a reply to message #68683 ] Fri, 31 May 2013 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar freo64  is currently offline freo64
Go to my shop
I'm a newbie to the world of 3D models and printing. My main experience is in 2D drafting but have dabbled in 3d. Recently I discovered Autodesk 123D products, which may also be a good place for you to look at for 3D modelling tool options? Also Blender 2.6 may also be something you could look into.
The learning curve may be a bit steep at first but thankfully YouTube has a lot of tutorials for these products. Also make sure the finished model is exported or saved in the supported file format that Shapeways accepts.
Good luck to us all
Re: Creating what is needed to get a part made by Shapeways. [message #68981 is a reply to message #68969 ] Fri, 31 May 2013 13:18 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank you for the reply & the info, freo64!

Previous Topic:3D ring design app
Next Topic:materials

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.