Home » Community » Work in progress » European Ball Joint Doll
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
European Ball Joint Doll [message #6884] Mon, 28 September 2009 18:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar EricvanStraaten  is currently offline EricvanStraaten
Go to my shop
For years now I am trying to make a BJD (ball jointed dolls are very popular in certain cultgroups, especially in Asia) in the traditional manner (first sculpting, then putting in the joints, then molding and pouring).

A few months ago I was able to join in a Rapid Manufacturing project with a technological institute (TNO in The Netherlands) wich is aimed at deliviring a 3D printed model for the Dutch Design Week Contest upcoming october.

My 3D model is almost ready and will be printed in a few weeks. The whole model I'm developing together with TNO (who will also print the protorype for me) and will be displayed at the Dutch Design Week.

When the prototype is finished, I'm planning to use Shapeways as a deliveryshop (which I don't have yet due to the prototyping-stage of the project) for the 'unfinished' product.

Tell me what you think!

www.ericvanstraaten.com
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #6885 is a reply to message #6884 ] Mon, 28 September 2009 18:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This is the original 3D-model I made before I cut her up in the different BJD-parts...

• Attachment: oud.jpg
    (Size: 62.39KB, Downloaded 503 time(s))

www.ericvanstraaten.com
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #6886 is a reply to message #6884 ] Mon, 28 September 2009 18:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's a quick render where you can see the individual parts of my doll...

• Attachment: bodyparts.jpg
    (Size: 108.00KB, Downloaded 583 time(s))

www.ericvanstraaten.com
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #6917 is a reply to message #6886 ] Wed, 30 September 2009 02:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Wow, so many parts to make that intricate doll! I hope it turns out lovely for you!

When I first joined shapeways I had the thought of creating a very tiny ball joint doll. I gave up on this after a while. I even ordered a ball joint doll to study it! Now she looks so macabre on my shelf, but I put her next to an angel bagpiper sculpture, and an iron faery, so she has company.

Smile

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #7009 is a reply to message #6917 ] Fri, 02 October 2009 12:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Galbot  is currently offline Galbot
Go to my shop
Why does it appear to have joints where no humans have joints e.g. under the shoulder joint there is another one a few cms down above the elbow. It has a shoulder and an elbow and then one in between???? I sure don't.
Same between the ankle and the knee.
Looks very complicated though. Hope you win the competition. Looks very expensive to print.
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #19411 is a reply to message #7009 ] Tue, 19 October 2010 18:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kerhohuone  is currently offline kerhohuone
Go to all my models
Galbot wrote on Fri, 02 October 2009 12:10

Why does it appear to have joints where no humans have joints e.g. under the shoulder joint there is another one a few cms down above the elbow. It has a shoulder and an elbow and then one in between???? I sure don't.
Same between the ankle and the knee.
Looks very complicated though. Hope you win the competition. Looks very expensive to print.

this is almost a year late, but i just thought someone would like to know that the parts you are talking about are sort of "double joints", they make the doll a lot more mobile without risking too much of aestetics.

and eyedoll, your doll is beautiful! i remember the centaur girl in your shop, the is one of the most fascinating figurines i have seen in a while. coincidentally i received my doll today from shapeways but instead of many parts i ordered a one piece print since i will be making a silicone doll with an inner skeleton and only need the 3d-print to make a mold for the actual whole doll.

please show more pictures unless you have abandoned this project during the year, i would be very interested in seeing more of your pretty doll. thank you!
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #19479 is a reply to message #19411 ] Thu, 21 October 2010 05:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gumball  is currently offline gumball
Go to my shop
Kinda reminds me of some of the dolls Hans Belmer was making.
Re: European Ball Joint Doll [message #19755 is a reply to message #19411 ] Thu, 28 October 2010 11:49 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Hi, the work on my doll is a bit 'absorbed' by a new project I'm doing right now. I've printed a lot of 'statues' the recent month, which I am exhibiting right now in my hometown. See http://www.ericvanstraaten.com

Greetings, Eric

www.ericvanstraaten.com

Previous Topic:Any Blenderheads out there?
Next Topic:Dice Fair or Not?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.