Home » Support » 3D Design » Render in Shapeways is missing some parts
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Render in Shapeways is missing some parts [message #68275] Fri, 17 May 2013 23:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar imsammyd  is currently offline imsammyd
Go to all my models
I made a small model in Sketchup 8. I export it as a dae. There is only one component in the model. It is a small knob with a llama on it. The knob previews fine, but there is no llama. If I preview the dae in finder, I see the llama. If I import the dae into a new sketchup document, the llama is there. When I upload to shapeways... no llama.

I attached the preview I see in shapeways as well as the dae.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Render in Shapeways is missing some parts [message #68283 is a reply to message #68275 ] Sat, 18 May 2013 11:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Gratis

[Updated on: Sat, 18 May 2013 11:13 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Render in Shapeways is missing some parts [message #68291 is a reply to message #68283 ] Sat, 18 May 2013 13:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar imsammyd  is currently offline imsammyd
Go to all my models
JACANT,

Thats awesome and thank you very much. I need to do this type of thing again though. Is there a simple explanation for what I did wrong?

Thanks again,
Sam
Re: Render in Shapeways is missing some parts [message #68295 is a reply to message #68291 ] Sat, 18 May 2013 14:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
You had holes in your model and inverted normals.
It would be easier if you exported your model as an STL file. Here's a link http://sourceforge.net/projects/stl4su/
Open it in http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php which is free.
Once in Netfabb you can see the red exclamation mark, which means it needs repairing. Click on the red cross.
What you see now is holes in your model 'yellow lines' and inside out faces 'coloured red' which are inverted normals.
An Automatic repair will fix most of the issues, if not all for some models. Click Apply repair.
Goto Part - Export Part - as STL a screen will appear click on Repair then Export
This should be OK to upload as it is, even with six shells. If you still can't fix your files upload them to http://cloud.netfabb.com/ this is free as well.

index.php?t=getfile&id=32653&private=0

• Attachment: image.png
    (Size: 60.29KB, Downloaded 66 time(s))

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Male and Female
Next Topic:Having trouble with overlapping parts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.