Fastest way (Payment method) to ship

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by dloney, May 17, 2013.

1. dloney
    dloney Member
    I'm reading the shipping page and I'm a little confused by the wording. Could anyone help me out?
    From this page: https://www.shapeways.com/support/shipping

So, for clarification the process will go like this:
    1- Payment processed
    2- Design cleared
    3- Shipped by UPS

On step one, it can take anywhere from 10 to 21 days to process the payment -if payed with credit card or Paypal. Yet only 3-5 days if E-Check (also using Paypal). This doesn't make much sense to me as either way Paypal is what's holding up the process...

I want to pay with a AMEX, but the idea of waiting almost a month is making me consider opening a Paypal account with e-checking. Is the time difference between the methods really this drastic?

Thanks for your time.

2. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    This is not an official reply, I don't work for Shapeways, and haven't been on here all that long...

I think the 10, 14, or 21 days is the production time, not the time to clear your payment. The "3 to 5 days" part is extra time for the check to clear into the Paypal system. When I have ordered (using credit through Paypal) I receive an email noting the receipt of order and comencement of production within minutes, and can see the order's progress on my Orders page.

3. dloney
    dloney Member
    Ok. Thanks for the help. That makes way more sense.

I also found this in one of the FAQ's:
    No idea why its not stated so clearly on the shipping page, but its solid information. Thanks for your help.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Some old information on those pages. Which pages did you get that info from?

Sandstone and Plastics are now 8 business days. Dyed strong and flexible is listed at 12 business days, my last order of dyed took 6 days (4 business days!). Polished Alumide is also 12. Stainless is 12 days, with a coating 16. Silver is 20, and Ceramics are listed at 13 days. The last one in your quote, Glass, is no longer available.

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Uh-oh, seems like your webpages need a bit more love :D
    One part of the outdated production time info is on support/shipping , the other (that mentions "glass")
    in the FAQ page ("How long does it take before i get my product").
    FAQ also has entries like"What is work in progress", "What is the gallery", "What is 'My Shapeways'",
    "What is model state" that appear to refer to one of the earlier site designs, and
    "Do you support a shipping address different from my own" fails to mention that
    shipping and billing addresses have to be within the same country (IIRC from the forum)