Home »  » 3D Printing » Scale Issues with OBJ
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Scale Issues with OBJ [message #68169] Thu, 16 May 2013 19:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar SlothLife  is currently offline SlothLife
Go to my shop
I'm having scale issues with the OBJ file I am uploading. I have been using Maya to model, and I set it up so that the object is about 9 inches long (I found this out using the distance tool). Yet, every time I upload the file selecting MM as the scale, the dimensions tab on Shapeways is telling me it is 0.3 w x 0.9 d x 0.4 h Inches. If i select inches as the scale, it's dimensions become absurdly large. Is this an issue with the OBJ format or the shapeways upload?

[Updated on: Thu, 16 May 2013 19:06 UTC]

Re: Scale Issues with OBJ [message #68170 is a reply to message #68169 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Sounds like a Maya issue. Looks like your exporting as cm. Try scaling your item up by 10 and trying again.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Scale Issues with OBJ [message #68171 is a reply to message #68170 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SlothLife  is currently offline SlothLife
Go to my shop
Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. Is this discrepancy normal for models exported by Maya?
Re: Scale Issues with OBJ [message #68172 is a reply to message #68169 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 19:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
With some programs there are different settings for what you see, and for what you export. So you think your drawing in one unit, because the dimensions you see are in that unit, but really their being stored in a different unit. This is something I've seen reported about Maya before.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:A new use for dummy cubes!
Next Topic:Wow - sorry guys, I'm not that rich

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.