Home » Community » General Discussion » snap fit
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
snap fit [message #68099] Wed, 15 May 2013 21:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar salprimo  is currently offline salprimo
Go to all my models
Hi,
I'm working on a project where parts will snap together, alot like Lego blocks. Does anyone know what tolerances I should use between the male and female parts? The 'snap' should resemble a lego 'snap'.

any info would be really helpful!

Re: snap fit [message #68127 is a reply to message #68099 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 09:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
If it were my problem I wouldn't try to duplicate the Lego block snap together design because Shapeways' 3D printing machines don't have the repeatability nor precision necessary to make it work well. There is one 3D printing service bureau that I know of that does have this capability, but you'd be paying about $80 US per block.

What I would do is come up with a snap design that doesn't require ultra high precision and ultra high repeatability. Something like what you'd find on ordinary clothing for example. For tolerances, we would need to know what material you would like to use and we would need to know more about the application as well.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.

Previous Topic:Material strength? Mobile Phone car mount application?
Next Topic:Sunflower Oil on Parts?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.