Home » Community » General Discussion » Sunflower Oil on Parts?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sunflower Oil on Parts? [message #68082] Wed, 15 May 2013 16:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar dpgoldberg  is currently offline dpgoldberg
Go to my shop
We just received our order of a bunch or parts printed in Forsted Ultra Detail. The parts were covered in what appeared to be an oily residue. I assumed it might be residual un-cured resin that failed to be removed by the cleaning solvents (this has happened with other printer companies) but upon inquiring to Shapeways we were told it was Sunflower Oil. Huh??? Sunflower Oil?! That's the first time I've ever heard of Sunflower Oil being used in a 3D printing process.

Has anybody else heard of this?

(And why doesn't Shapeways mention that the parts may need to be "degreased" prior to painting?)
Re: Sunflower Oil on Parts? [message #68083 is a reply to message #68082 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 16:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Got an answer for you. They actually use mineral oil, not sunflower oil. It's a very inert/clean oil, much like baby oil but less viscous. It's used in the cleaning process to remove excess wax support material. The oil is then cleaned off as best as possible with soapy water. The process for removing the oil is improving, but right now some can be left.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:03 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Sunflower Oil on Parts? [message #68116 is a reply to message #68083 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 03:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar zoatron  is currently offline zoatron
Go to my shop
Sounds like dishwasher time to me!

-Bathsheba
(the same person, a different project.)
Re: Sunflower Oil on Parts? [message #68136 is a reply to message #68116 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 09:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
FD / FUD is NOT dishwasher safe!
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted-detail

Previous Topic:snap fit
Next Topic:Hoop for Pendant

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.