Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Let the purchaser choose the markup
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68074] Wed, 15 May 2013 15:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar ttoinou  is currently offline ttoinou
Go to my shop
Hi,

Shapeways could let designer choose if they want the markup to be up to the purchaser, because he believes his creation does not belong to him but to everyone. He thinks that he shouldn't decide what profit should he make for creating the object.
Then of course there's no point in hiding the volume of the object.
It would increase transparency between designers and SW's visitors & purchaser.

SW should also let designer choose a license for their model.

( Also If the designer choose a free license and markup-up-to-buyer for one object then there's no reason not to let people download it. )

I know it seems utopic but there's already a few downloadable objects on this site. It proves there's some designer that don't care about profits* or already have this "art should be free" philosophy.

* I'm not saying SW designers are here for profits
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68080 is a reply to message #68074 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 16:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You can set the markup to zero and setup a donate button so people can pay what they want.

As to what a design is worth.. some people spent a lot of time and money to perfect a design/model, what you call profit is salary to them Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68081 is a reply to message #68080 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 16:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

* I'm not saying SW designers are here for profits

Quote:

...what you call profit is salary to them

And is there something wrong with profit? Should art be free? I s everything on SW art?

Art can be free, but to say that it should be free is a different thing and rather overly prescriptive ... imo.
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68084 is a reply to message #68081 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Oh there is nothing wrong with profit, and I just meant some desire to see a return on investment.
And not all markup is profit of course. Some models never pay themselves off..

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68093 is a reply to message #68084 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I meant free like the liberty that comes with free licenses, not free as in free beer (here free object ; ).

Quote:

You can set the markup to zero and setup a donate button so people can pay what they want.

If this features is fully integrated in the SW design (a special donate button / flattr), why not.
But Shapeways doesn't get 20%. And it's better to pay all object + markups in one time.

Quote:

what you call profit is salary to them
Maybe we could use "capital gain" to remove the pejorative meaning.

Quote:

And is there something wrong with profit ?
No. But the SW system is quite opaque (hidden volume & markup : you never know how much you are giving to designer).
Letting people know some properties of the object (like volume), letting them download a model and tweak with it, getting them to be invested in the product creation, all of this is part of the education to 3D printing.

Quote:

Should art be free?
Well that's a personal questional (SW could allow both answers) but I truly think it should be, as in "free speech" again.
That doesn't mean people don't exchange money and that artists starve to death of course.

Quote:

I s everything on SW art?
IMHO yes but my definition of art is very large.

Quote:

Art can be free, but to say that it should be free is a different thing and rather overly prescriptive ... imo.
I'm not forcing anyone (how could I ?) Razz .

[Updated on: Wed, 15 May 2013 19:07 UTC]

Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68325 is a reply to message #68093 ] Sun, 19 May 2013 15:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
my trains aren't art Razz

and using SW I can spent my markup on new prints / prototypes Smile
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68326 is a reply to message #68325 ] Sun, 19 May 2013 16:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Of course they are.
I'm not saying you shouldn't get money I'm saying you could sell in a transparent way (if you want of course).
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68418 is a reply to message #68326 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 09:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
All of my successfully printed items are 'art' to me, anyone is quite welcome to stop by and have a look for free Wink
But if you like my stuff so much that you want one too, then that's where the ways of the world come in and money gets involved, as sadly I can't pay my bills with little 00 scale phone boxes yet. I did give one away to Singapore's only 2012 Olympic lady gymnast as she was kind enough to give me her autograph.

The ideals of Star Trek may one day happen, but not in our lifetimes.

Paul
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68419 is a reply to message #68418 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 09:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
stop4stuff wrote on Tue, 21 May 2013 09:11

The ideals of Star Trek may one day happen, but not in our lifetimes.

You never know... Laughing

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Let the purchaser choose the markup [message #68420 is a reply to message #68419 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 09:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It was tried and George Orwell wrote a book highlighting the non-equality of such a culture.
Yes, pure communism might work if human greed was taken out of the equation.
And for that to happen, 7+ billion people would need to agree that money is worthless.

Paul

Previous Topic:Bad Preview Image
Next Topic:Billing vs. Shipping addresses

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.