Home » Community » General Discussion » Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68064] Wed, 15 May 2013 14:14 UTC Go to next message
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
Hey Shapeways,

I ordered a ring in glossy silver, it has supported walls and wires of 0.8 mm, which is acceptable according to this page: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver-design-guidelines

However, I got a rejection, stating the minimum wall thickness is 1mm! I've already ordered this ring before with no problems. Why are you arbitrarily rejecting models that are printable according to your own design rules?

index.php?t=getfile&id=32489&private=0

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68066 is a reply to message #68064 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 14:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm looking into this for you. I want to make sure you are answered properly. Have you emailed service about your concerns?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68067 is a reply to message #68066 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes. I went ahead and made the changes and reordered because this is a wedding ring and now I'm a week behind schedule. Still, this is frustrating.

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68068 is a reply to message #68064 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 14:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I can understand your frustration.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68071 is a reply to message #68068 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 15:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I'd do more than look into it, I'd do an investigation and submit a detailed report to Pete. This will destroy Shapeways if something is not done soon. You cannot run a business like Shapeways without good foundation stones to build on. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68216 is a reply to message #68071 ] Fri, 17 May 2013 09:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar carmelari  is currently offline carmelari
Go to my shop
So what? how the story ends? Rolling Eyes
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68221 is a reply to message #68064 ] Fri, 17 May 2013 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We're still discussing, but I believe the updated model should pass the checks.

I want to give a full answer, and I don't have it yet, sorry.

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68299 is a reply to message #68064 ] Sat, 18 May 2013 15:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, the only thing more frustrating than getting the thin walls message is getting that same message AFTER the model has already successfully been printed!

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68307 is a reply to message #68299 ] Sat, 18 May 2013 20:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coaster  is currently offline coaster
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Sat, 18 May 2013 15:55

Yes, the only thing more frustrating than getting the thin walls message is getting that same message AFTER the model has already successfully been printed!

Exactly what that man said!!
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68314 is a reply to message #68307 ] Sun, 19 May 2013 09:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
especially because in the meantime we have already placed the order and paid for it Sad
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68361 is a reply to message #68064 ] Mon, 20 May 2013 16:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sorry for not updating the thread. Shapeways says because it's a ring they applied the 1mm minimum ring band rule to the spokes & adjoining supporting area. Which is shtako since I've already had it printed before and it didn't warp or bend. Rolling Eyes

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68364 is a reply to message #68361 ] Mon, 20 May 2013 16:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
My feeling is that Shapeways trys to do us a favour and print something that looks like it could be a bit dodgy, but then, hey, it works... and they ship it to us. BUT if they are of the opinion that they wouldn't attempt that again then I think that they should tell us that. Having a previously printed model now unprintable is bad enough when you order it yourself but when a customer orders it then it gets frustrating and embarassing.

BTW, roofoo, am I right in saying you're a "Defiance" fan ?!

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68379 is a reply to message #68364 ] Mon, 20 May 2013 21:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coaster  is currently offline coaster
Go to my shop
I dont mind amodel being cancelled(except after its already been made in the past Mad ) because of issue,but if afew get cancelled in one order then the models that do get made are alot more exspenive..re:shipping.........US$19.99 converted to NZD is quite alot.You get credits for models but lose on the shipping.
In an ideal world why cant all models go through that "final" test when they are uploaded?would save alot of p*ssed of customers and designers!
Um....finished my rant now thanks.

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68412 is a reply to message #68364 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 08:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
lensman wrote on Mon, 20 May 2013 16:47

My feeling is that Shapeways trys to do us a favour and print something that looks like it could be a bit dodgy, but then, hey, it works... and they ship it to us. BUT if they are of the opinion that they wouldn't attempt that again then I think that they should tell us that. Having a previously printed model now unprintable is bad enough when you order it yourself but when a customer orders it then it gets frustrating and embarassing.

BTW, roofoo, am I right in saying you're a "Defiance" fan ?!

My feeling is that Shapeways have expanded to fast and taken on too many new print partners/own staff who interpret or even make up rules.
This applies to FUD and Silver. Don't want to bore you all with the details, but suffice to say already printed models being rejected because the design rules changed is a right pain in the arse - frustration doesn;t even come into the equations when the goalposts contiually shift and no-one really can give a straight answer.

Just can't wait to find out what you guys think of FUD wire rules if/when they get published Evil or Very Mad

Paul

[edit] and why on earth does text fall off the screen if one single post in a thread has an image in it - this was fixed and got broke August '12

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2013 08:02 UTC]

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68415 is a reply to message #68412 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 08:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm sorry to say but I happened again Sad an order made ​​and paid for has a couple of projects that are not printable.
So why when I load the model does not make controls more serious?
I did research on the net and found another server that lets you see Loading where the problems are of your project, before you order.

is competitor perhaps you know for me it will be the first test today. I'm sorry for Shapeways but I can not continue to throw money out the window!

Edited out competitors name.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2013 12:24 UTC] by Moderator

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68426 is a reply to message #68064 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 11:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well, to come to Shapeways defence here you do get a credit/refund for the non-printable pieces, but I hear what you're saying about having to pay for shipping twice. It would be nice to have the option of cancelling the entire order (or get later shipping free!)

As for the other sites checking models on upload, I'm not convinced they are perfect either. I haven't actually had anything printed from them so can't speak directly to that, though - perhaps someone else here can?

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68430 is a reply to message #68426 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 12:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
lensman wrote on Tue, 21 May 2013 11:15

Well, to come to Shapeways defence here you do get a credit/refund for the non-printable pieces, but I hear what you're saying about having to pay for shipping twice. It would be nice to have the option of cancelling the entire order (or get later shipping free!)

When your item is canceled, reply to the email stating that you would like to have your entire order canceled. If parts of your order are already in production, they should also give you a credit for the shipping. I don't get special privileges with my orders, and that's how it worked for my last order.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 May 2013 12:27 UTC]

michael@shapeways.com
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68435 is a reply to message #68064 ] Tue, 21 May 2013 13:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks.

Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68564 is a reply to message #68412 ] Thu, 23 May 2013 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar matt_atknsn  is currently offline matt_atknsn
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Tue, 21 May 2013 08:00

Just can't wait to find out what you guys think of FUD wire rules if/when they get published Evil or Very Mad

Count me in (because I just can't see the point of having 0.3mm walls with nuance rules vs 1mm-0.8mm-0.6mm wires :/ )
Re: Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines [message #68578 is a reply to message #68064 ] Thu, 23 May 2013 23:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I forget the timeline, but it is maybe 3 or 4 weeks now.

SHAPEWAYS - you told me that you would update the FUD rules to reflect how you have changed the rules for FUD.

This has not happened...

I am very disapointed with your M$ attitude.

Nuff Sed
Pissed off Paul

Previous Topic:Problem with proper dimensions while downloading flatten sphere
Next Topic:Improvements to shopping for minatures

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.