Shapeways not even following their own design guidelines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roofoo, May 15, 2013.

1. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Hey Shapeways,

I ordered a ring in glossy silver, it has supported walls and wires of 0.8 mm, which is acceptable according to this page: https://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver-design-guidelines

However, I got a rejection, stating the minimum wall thickness is 1mm! I've already ordered this ring before with no problems. Why are you arbitrarily rejecting models that are printable according to your own design rules?

reject 608464_to thin 0,8 mm. Minimal 1 mm.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I'm looking into this for you. I want to make sure you are answered properly. Have you emailed service about your concerns?

3. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Yes. I went ahead and made the changes and reordered because this is a wedding ring and now I'm a week behind schedule. Still, this is frustrating.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    I can understand your frustration.

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I'd do more than look into it, I'd do an investigation and submit a detailed report to Pete. This will destroy Shapeways if something is not done soon. You cannot run a business like Shapeways without good foundation stones to build on. :)

6. RhinoTutor_it
    RhinoTutor_it Member
    So what? how the story ends? :rolleyes:

7. Youknowwho4eva
    We're still discussing, but I believe the updated model should pass the checks.

I want to give a full answer, and I don't have it yet, sorry.

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yes, the only thing more frustrating than getting the thin walls message is getting that same message AFTER the model has already successfully been printed!

9. coaster
    coaster Well-Known Member
    Exactly what that man said!!

10. RhinoTutor_it
    RhinoTutor_it Member
    especially because in the meantime we have already placed the order and paid for it :(

11. roofoo
    roofoo Well-Known Member
    Sorry for not updating the thread. Shapeways says because it's a ring they applied the 1mm minimum ring band rule to the spokes & adjoining supporting area. Which is shtako since I've already had it printed before and it didn't warp or bend. :rolleyes:

12. lensman
    My feeling is that Shapeways trys to do us a favour and print something that looks like it could be a bit dodgy, but then, hey, it works... and they ship it to us. BUT if they are of the opinion that they wouldn't attempt that again then I think that they should tell us that. Having a previously printed model now unprintable is bad enough when you order it yourself but when a customer orders it then it gets frustrating and embarassing.

BTW, roofoo, am I right in saying you're a "Defiance" fan ?!

13. coaster
    coaster Well-Known Member
    I dont mind amodel being cancelled(except after its already been made in the past :mad: ) because of issue,but if afew get cancelled in one order then the models that do get made are alot more exspenive..re:shipping.........US$19.99 converted to NZD is quite alot.You get credits for models but lose on the shipping.
    In an ideal world why cant all models go through that "final" test when they are uploaded?would save alot of p*ssed of customers and designers!
    Um....finished my rant now thanks.

14. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    My feeling is that Shapeways have expanded to fast and taken on too many new print partners/own staff who interpret or even make up rules.
    This applies to FUD and Silver. Don't want to bore you all with the details, but suffice to say already printed models being rejected because the design rules changed is a right pain in the arse - frustration doesn;t even come into the equations when the goalposts contiually shift and no-one really can give a straight answer.

Just can't wait to find out what you guys think of FUD wire rules if/when they get published :evil:

Paul

[edit] and why on earth does text fall off the screen if one single post in a thread has an image in it - this was fixed and got broke August '12

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  15. RhinoTutor_it
    RhinoTutor_it Member
    I'm sorry to say but I happened again :( an order made ​​and paid for has a couple of projects that are not printable.
    So why when I load the model does not make controls more serious?
    I did research on the net and found another server that lets you see Loading where the problems are of your project, before you order.

is competitor perhaps you know for me it will be the first test today. I'm sorry for Shapeways but I can not continue to throw money out the window!

Edited out competitors name.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  16. lensman
    Well, to come to Shapeways defence here you do get a credit/refund for the non-printable pieces, but I hear what you're saying about having to pay for shipping twice. It would be nice to have the option of cancelling the entire order (or get later shipping free!)

As for the other sites checking models on upload, I'm not convinced they are perfect either. I haven't actually had anything printed from them so can't speak directly to that, though - perhaps someone else here can?

17. Youknowwho4eva
    When your item is canceled, reply to the email stating that you would like to have your entire order canceled. If parts of your order are already in production, they should also give you a credit for the shipping. I don't get special privileges with my orders, and that's how it worked for my last order.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  18. lensman
    Interesting. I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks.

19. matt_atknsn
    matt_atknsn Member
    Count me in (because I just can't see the point of having 0.3mm walls with nuance rules vs 1mm-0.8mm-0.6mm wires :/ )

20. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I forget the timeline, but it is maybe 3 or 4 weeks now.

SHAPEWAYS - you told me that you would update the FUD rules to reflect how you have changed the rules for FUD.

This has not happened...

I am very disapointed with your M$ attitude.

Nuff Sed
    Pissed off Paul