Home » Community » It arrived! » New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68018] Wed, 15 May 2013 00:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar joe1029  is currently offline joe1029
Go to my shop
So my new IPhone case just arrived. I's supposed to be a facehugger from Aliens on the back of the phone. I'm seriously considering staining it with black tea. I've already tried this one some other models I'm not crazy about in the same material, and the look after staining for a few hours was great, pretty damn close to the tanish-brown color from the facehugger aliens in the movies. My concern it that the stained models seemed weaker then before I stained them. I'd love to know if this does in fact weaken the plastic and if so by how much. There are some thin parts on this case. It's strong as it is, but I don't want to weaken it to where it could easily break.

Does anyone have any experience in this or know a way to get a similar color stain w/o using tea? (I'm guessing it's the acidity in the black tea that weakens the plastic)

index.php?t=getfile&id=32444&private=0

Thanks for any help or input!

• Attachment: 376.JPG
    (Size: 6.11MB, Downloaded 278 time(s))

Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68026 is a reply to message #68018 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 03:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joe1029  is currently offline joe1029
Go to my shop
Shoot, sorry about the triple post. My internet crashed or lost connection to Shapeways while I was uploading it and I didn't think it went through, so I refreshed the page and hit post again... twice. Not sure how to delete a post either, sorry!
Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68029 is a reply to message #68026 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 05:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
No worries, I've removed the other posts.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68042 is a reply to message #68029 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 09:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
nice.
Now I have an image in mind where a chestbuster breaks out of the Phone ...
Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68045 is a reply to message #68018 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 12:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Check out the post production section for different ways to dye your model.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68112 is a reply to message #68018 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 00:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar phr0stbyte  is currently offline phr0stbyte
Go to my shop
NICE case, man - I love it!
Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68113 is a reply to message #68112 ] Thu, 16 May 2013 01:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WillLaPuerta  is currently offline WillLaPuerta
Go to my shop
The instant I saw it I just burst out in laughter. I really like it.

"I am just a humble servant with a message here for you" Reaper Media on Facebook
Re: New Iphone case; Considering Tea Staining [message #68219 is a reply to message #68018 ] Fri, 17 May 2013 11:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
RIT Fabric Dyes work well. Check the post-production forum, as suggested, because some plastics dye better than others, as I recall.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Chubby Unicorn
Next Topic:Battletech figures: Mechwarrior online style.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.