Home »  » General Discussion » Question on 3D printing option
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Question on 3D printing option [message #68007] Tue, 14 May 2013 20:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar St0RM53  is currently offline St0RM53
Go to all my models
Guys how do you name this 3d printing option where instead of printing the whole solid body volume, it makes an internal triangular grid/mesh/porous structure inside in order to save material?

Thanks
Re: Question on 3D printing option [message #68008 is a reply to message #68007 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 20:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
You cannot just 'name' that you want the model hollow as an option. You have to create the model as hollow.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Question on 3D printing option [message #68011 is a reply to message #68008 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 21:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
JACANT wrote on Tue, 14 May 2013 20:39

You cannot just 'name' that you want the model hollow as an option. You have to create the model as hollow.

And let the inside become part of the outside world with a hole of some kind Wink
Re: Question on 3D printing option [message #68016 is a reply to message #68011 ] Tue, 14 May 2013 23:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
The name you're looking for is "infill" or "scaffolding", depending on the software or printer that you are using.

Infill is normally required for FDM printers, and none of the Shapeways printers are based upon FDM.

The Shapeways printers themselves do not require Infill, but you may opt to add it to your design anyway so that your object is stronger.
It's entirely possible to make a completely hollow object with the processes that Shapeways uses.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Question on 3D printing option
Next Topic:What is the World's Finest 3D Printer - Cost No Object?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.