Home » Support » 3D Applications » Poly with multiple shaders into texture?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #67878] Mon, 13 May 2013 07:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar SomniumDS  is currently offline SomniumDS
Go to my shop
I was wondering if this was possible. Using Maya I have a polygon that has different faces colored in by different Blinns, first did it with file texture, but colors weren't exact. Question is... is there a way to export this into x3d. I understand that it needs a texture file and since there isn't one I was wondering if there was a way to make one. First tried exporting to wrl, but doesn't seem to work so I'm goin with x3d.
Re: Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #68076 is a reply to message #67878 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 15:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
You can have your texture and x3d file within .zip file and than you upload just *.zip. It worked for me.

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #68086 is a reply to message #68076 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Well the thing is the texture isn't actually a texture. I just have faces in Maya colored at the moment. There's no actual texture file.

Re: Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #68087 is a reply to message #68086 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 18:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
if you cant create texture from it you need to export it into VRML2. At least that is only format that i know and can carry color information for polygons....

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #68088 is a reply to message #68087 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 18:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hmm... alrighty i'll figure something out. Thank you
Re: Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #68097 is a reply to message #68086 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Quote:

I just have faces in Maya colored at the moment.

That - sometimes called "vertex colors" - should work in either VRML or X3D. However the color capabilities of
the printer used for the "full color sandstone" material are comparable to a first-generation color inkjet, so not all
colors come out equally well.
Re: Poly with multiple shaders into texture? [message #68111 is a reply to message #68097 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 23:37 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Here's a model that I created to test the vertex colors.
http://shpws.me/lUx1

As you can see, the whole color pallette is rather dark, but if you stick with the brighter colors, it can turn out rather well.
I had one of these printed http://shpws.me/loMS and it turned out almost identical to the render.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:VRML error
Next Topic:What pitch is possible for mechanical gears?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.