High Definition Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SGDesigns, May 12, 2013.

1. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    High Definition Stainless Steel or High Definition Bronze similar in detail to the silver prints? Anyone know if this might be a possibility? Maybe offered with medium size models in mind?

2. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    Stainless with resolution similar to silver exists, but it only works at sizes similar to silver.
    Bronze AFAIK doesn't exist.

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I haven't heard of a HD Bronze but Bronze itself is available at a competitor to Shapeways...

4. Bathsheba
    (it's not quite as much fun as one might hope, though -- not as dimensionally stable as the stainless/bronze.)

5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    And at much the same prices...

6. SGDesigns
    SGDesigns Member
    Yeah, Ive seen HD stainless steel but the price is so high its practically the same as silver and the max size is 40x40x35mm Pendants and buckles are out of the question at this size.. I have an order that needs to be made in large amounts in stainless. I prefer sticking with shapeways because I feel comfortable with the quality I get, I dont wanna roll the dice elsewhere. Maybe non-rust High Definition stainless at a good price isnt out there yet.

HD Bronze, I only mentioned it because it was suggested I get it made in Bronze but I think they were talking about using a detailed silver print and making a mold from it. I havent gone that rout yet. Id hate to pass us this opportunity because its a potentially large order with several designs needed.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  7. Bathsheba
    The silver material is itself made by casting, so starting with that as a mold master wouldn't be an option. Casting in bronze or brass is exactly as possible, it's just that after you've done this multistage process of printing/casting/finishing, so much of the cost is labor that you might as well use the better metal. You'll pay about the same anyway.