Home » Community » General Discussion » Replicating an existing object?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Replicating an existing object? [message #67840] Sat, 11 May 2013 23:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar arcanemethods  is currently offline arcanemethods
Go to all my models
I have a small object, on the order of the size of a necklace pendant, that I wish to have scanned to produce files that can be used to produce a copy and a mirror image copy. Fairly high resolution is required. Can anyone recommend a service that can do the scanning at reasonable cost and deliver files suitable to be made anywhere?

Many Thanks.
Re: Replicating an existing object? [message #67841 is a reply to message #67840 ] Sun, 12 May 2013 01:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Can you post a picture of the item here?
Or .. send a picture via PM?

Is the object fairly simple, or is it more complex?
123dcatch.com can product a model, but it often takes careful lighting, focus, and a good bit of cleanup after the fact.
If the item is fairly simple, it may be simpler to design from scratch.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Replicating an existing object? [message #67842 is a reply to message #67841 ] Sun, 12 May 2013 01:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar arcanemethods  is currently offline arcanemethods
Go to all my models
Thanks for the response.

It's a casting of the last 2 cm of an ear canal, including the tympanic membrane. Evolution did the design, not me, and I doubt a precise enough digital rendition can be obtained from photographs. I'm pretty sure an active scanner such as a laser scanner will be necessary.

Previous Topic:Very Fine Text
Next Topic:Tiny Ping Pong Ball (10 or 20 mm)