Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » General Discussion » 3D Printed Handgun finally built
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67538] Mon, 06 May 2013 15:20 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A company claims to have finally printed the world's first working 3D printed handgun with the only non-printed part being a nail for a firing pin. The writer doesn't talk about it being seen in use, but the person who sent me the link said they saw it being shown in action on TV...

I make no editorial comment on this since there certainly has been enough of that in the news over the years...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67539 is a reply to message #67538 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 15:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
According to the NY Post it was produced on a 3D Copier, so no worries of the effects on 3D printing.

I'm kidding of course. Guns have been produced for hundreds of years now. There are more efficient, and less expensive ways to make a gun. But then again you don't make the front page of the paper using other methods.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67540 is a reply to message #67538 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 15:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Exactly, although another interesting aspect is the group that claims to have made it: Defence Distributed.

Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67549 is a reply to message #67540 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 18:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GrahamR  is currently offline GrahamR
Go to all my models
I saw the piece on the BBC News today.

Is it me or is this one of the dumbest uses of a wonderful technology.
So someone can impress us with their skills and make a weapon that can go kill some more kids somewhere.
Out of all the amazing things to go make they go figure a way to make a bloody gun.

I wish there was an amendment that was about the right to not have stupid ideas.
Nothing to do with freedom is it really.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 May 2013 18:08 UTC]

Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67555 is a reply to message #67538 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 18:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You got it in a nutshell, Graham. Quite ridiculous, really...

And of course as 3D Printing becomes even more mainstream there are going to be people complaining about the technology because "THEY CAN MAKE GUNS" !

Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67564 is a reply to message #67555 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 19:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SportsBricks  is currently offline SportsBricks
Go to all my models
If you're so inclined you can make a gun with copper pipe, but I haven't seen news crews or anyone picketing outside the local plumbing supply store recently. Have you?

This is sensationalist media at it worst. Remember kids the news is just another TV show hunting for ratings and sadly bad news does just that. Go find your own news instead of letting someone bring it to you. You'll be happier and the info you get will be less biased in any one direction too so we all win! Smile

Steve
Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67566 is a reply to message #67564 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 20:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FreeRangeBrain  is currently offline FreeRangeBrain
Go to my shop
SportsBricks wrote:
"If you're so inclined you can make a gun with copper pipe, but I haven't seen news crews or anyone picketing outside the local plumbing supply store recently. Have you?"

And the WalMart sells bomb making materials; not that they label them as such.

Creativity - sometimes by the brute force method.
Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67644 is a reply to message #67549 ] Wed, 08 May 2013 16:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
Wonderful way to politicize a thread. The Internet has truly become a bastion of very vocal, passionate folks with a very narrow and intellectually deficient view.

First; this thread (and this company) is about interesting developments in the evolution of this technology. In that, I'm impressed by the ability to produce a handgun. Or a car part. Or an articulated, wind-driven walking machine. Or a replacement hip.

Second, to say that the production of a gun is for the purpose of killing a child somewhere is an expression of feeling and not of thought. To suggest so is to suggest that you fully know the intentions of the inventor. I have a friend who is alive today because he carried and discharged a .38 caliber handgun... at a charging bear. It was not a child. It was not a bear cub. It was just a ticked off animal that he and his fiancee happen to meet on a 3 day hike; an activity they were very well educated and practiced in.

Last time, folks;

A gun is an inanimate object (let's not get into AI controlled CWIS systems, okay? Stay on course here). PEOPLE elect to use inanimate objects to harm other people. Gun, knife, bat, pipe... beer mug. To a violent person all objects are potential weapons.

Not a single bullet was shot at the Boston Marathon.
Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67691 is a reply to message #67644 ] Thu, 09 May 2013 12:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar barkingdigger  is currently offline barkingdigger
Go to my shop
Lightly stepping over the yawning chasm of moral, political, and public-safety issues raised by this development, I'm just amazed that our revolutionary technology means a "gun-on-demand" can be knocked out for the measley investment of a nail, a bullet - and an $8,000 3d printer! Heck, for that kind of money they could buy a fistful of real, metal, durable weapons of tried&tested design, or even hire a bunch of henchmen to do the dirty-work for them! Wish my pockets were that deep...
Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67702 is a reply to message #67538 ] Thu, 09 May 2013 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, and as I believe someone mentioned, zip guns and homemade guns have been around forever... nothing new here except the technology - technology, by the way, that I'm STILL not convinced has produced a handgun any better than a zip gun made in the 50's...

Re: 3D Printed Handgun finally built [message #67704 is a reply to message #67538 ] Thu, 09 May 2013 14:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Maethius  is currently offline Maethius
Go to all my models
Ironically, there is also a thread about aiding in the researching of metal printing technology.

NOW we're getting somewhere!

Why am I actually encouraged by the marrying of the two? Because if you can print a design that can take the stresses of an operational handgun in plastic, and you can refine the technology to print in actual metal, you open up a world of printing in complex, durable metal parts... like small engines, motors, etc.

Previous Topic:Recommendation for CAD and image rendering software
Next Topic:Feed of the Future, MIA?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.