Home » Support » Buying » material differences question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
material differences question [message #67435] Sat, 04 May 2013 14:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar crowstoes  is currently offline crowstoes
Go to all my models
what is the difference between "silver" and "silver glossy"?

thanks in advance!
Re: material differences question [message #67439 is a reply to message #67435 ] Sat, 04 May 2013 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
A 5 usd increase in handling fee! Premium is a chunk more...

Seriously, from here http://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver :

Quote:

Sterling Silver comes in Regular, Glossy, and Premium finishes:

Regular silver is mechanically polished so may show print lines and have a rougher surface texture.
Glossy is lightly hand polished to achieve a smooth finish but still can have some surface texture.
Premium Silver is highly hand polished to a "wet" sheen and looks very shiny.
Re: material differences question [message #67824 is a reply to message #67439 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 13:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
erm... something's wrong with that

afaik, silver is polished with a machine, not by hand - the part may be held in the hand whilst the part is being buffed.
from a recent email "There is a possibility that it might bend due to the high intensive polishing but production wants to try it."
To me 'high intensive polishing' implies a machine polish not a careful hand polish.

Paul
Re: material differences question [message #67826 is a reply to message #67824 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 15:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Probably "lightly/highly hand polished using electric tools" as opposed to "fully automatic (uneven) polishing" in something like the
tumbler they use for polishing WSF ?

Previous Topic:deleting model after ordering
Next Topic:First Order