Home » Support » Buying » material differences question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
material differences question [message #67435] Sat, 04 May 2013 14:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar crowstoes  is currently offline crowstoes
Go to all my models
what is the difference between "silver" and "silver glossy"?

thanks in advance!
Re: material differences question [message #67439 is a reply to message #67435 ] Sat, 04 May 2013 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A 5 usd increase in handling fee! Premium is a chunk more...

Seriously, from here http://www.shapeways.com/materials/silver :

Quote:

Sterling Silver comes in Regular, Glossy, and Premium finishes:

Regular silver is mechanically polished so may show print lines and have a rougher surface texture.
Glossy is lightly hand polished to achieve a smooth finish but still can have some surface texture.
Premium Silver is highly hand polished to a "wet" sheen and looks very shiny.
Re: material differences question [message #67824 is a reply to message #67439 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 13:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
erm... something's wrong with that

afaik, silver is polished with a machine, not by hand - the part may be held in the hand whilst the part is being buffed.
from a recent email "There is a possibility that it might bend due to the high intensive polishing but production wants to try it."
To me 'high intensive polishing' implies a machine polish not a careful hand polish.

Paul
Re: material differences question [message #67826 is a reply to message #67824 ] Sat, 11 May 2013 15:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Probably "lightly/highly hand polished using electric tools" as opposed to "fully automatic (uneven) polishing" in something like the
tumbler they use for polishing WSF ?

Previous Topic:deleting model after ordering
Next Topic:First Order

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.