Home » Support » 3D Design » Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6707] Mon, 21 September 2009 03:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar winglessbuzzard@gmail.com  is currently offline winglessbuzzard@gmail.com
Go to all my models
In the attached file, I cannot find a non-manifold area in the object Cube.003. I've exported it as x3d and attempted to upload it to shapeways twice. Each time I get an error back saying the object is non-manifold. Is the .blend --> .x3d format conversion causing it to be non-manifold?

Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6709 is a reply to message #6707 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 04:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Some of the bottom facing normals are around the wrong way Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=1423&private=0

• Attachment: normals.JPG
    (Size: 21.50KB, Downloaded 330 time(s))

Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6725 is a reply to message #6707 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 12:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar winglessbuzzard@gmail.com  is currently offline winglessbuzzard@gmail.com
Go to all my models
How do I find the inverted normals and fix them? I couldn't find any 'inverted normals' tutorial on this site. I cannot identify any inverted normals in Blender (unless I'm doing something wrong, which is very likely).
Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6737 is a reply to message #6725 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 16:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop
I'd recommend checking out MiniMagics - its a free program which does a good job of finding inverted normals and non-manifold edges.
Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6738 is a reply to message #6737 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Are you sure that MiniMagics still allows editing? I downloaded and installed the program and it refers me to "Magic RP" to do all my editing/fixing. Or should I use minimagics just for finding the problems and edit the objects in Blender.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 September 2009 17:01 UTC]

Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6740 is a reply to message #6738 ] Mon, 21 September 2009 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar afrodri  is currently offline afrodri
Go to my shop
MiniMagics doesn't do any fixing itself, but it does a good job of displaying where the inverted normals or bad edges are.
Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6802 is a reply to message #6740 ] Thu, 24 September 2009 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks guys! Minimagics is awesome!!!.. I wish they could build a Minimagics type script into Blender. Anyway, I got it fixed and uploaded, thanks!
icon3.gif  Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6804 is a reply to message #6802 ] Thu, 24 September 2009 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop
Another useful tip:
configure Blender to draw the face normals when editing the file.
That way you can see them in blender and in this case you would probably have to load/import the x3d file and check the results as well.

Go to Editing mode and open up the mesh editing buttons panel.
In the Mesh Tools More section there's a button labeled "Draw normals". Make sure it's selected/active.
The normals should point out from the "solid material area".

I use it all the time to make sure that the model won't spaz out when/if I add the SubSurf modifier.
(If you see a face normal where there should just be a face edge you have a face that is not visible to the eye but it effects the subsurf division quite clearly.. a common problem when a noob like me tries to extrude a face/edge and forgets to move it away from its original location)

The "Draw Vnormals" button does the same for the vertice normals, which may or may not be useful...

[Updated on: Thu, 24 September 2009 21:06 UTC]

Re: Non Manifold... but no non-manifold found in Blender [message #6807 is a reply to message #6804 ] Thu, 24 September 2009 23:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar clintbellanger  is currently offline clintbellanger
Go to my shop
(in Blender)

With some meshes, the option "Recalculate Outside Normals" cleans up these flipped faces.

Select the mesh, [tab] to enter Edit mode. Click the "Mesh" menu on the 3D viewport, then Normals -> Recalculate Outside.

Doesn't work for all meshes, but manifold meshes should work most of the time.

Previous Topic:Whole object is non-manifold, 20.3MB stl file
Next Topic:Getting started?