Is it possible to upload models >64Mb?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by timothyjharrison, Apr 26, 2013.

1. stepped file_64Mb.jpg smooth file_800Mb.jpg I am interested in uploading a model which is larger than 64Mb. Is this possible?? This is because if I reduce the resolution of the model until it is 64Mb in size (stl) then it appears to be quite stepped. See attachments for example. The model is large and has 100s of both internal and external surfaces which is why I think I need it larger than 64Mb.

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Are you already saving this as a "binary" STL file instead of the human-readable version ? Also keep the
    1 million triangle limit in mind...

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What material are you aiming for, and what is the size of those facets? If you are under the 1 million triangles, you can zip your file. If the zip is under 64mb it should upload.

4. Thanks for responses.

the tubes are 2.88 diameter so the facets are about 0.7mm wide which I think would be noticeable.

What is the 1,000,000 triangle rule?

am not sure if the stl file is binary or ASCII. It was saved from CATIA V5 as a stl file. I'm not sure which it uses.

I will also try zipping the file.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Right click the file, Open with, and select notepad. If it's a bunch of gibberish it's binary. If it's coordinates, its Ascii.

6. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    1 million triangles is the limit set by Shapeways for model uploads, this is incorrectly referred to as 1 million polygons on the upload/create page. (polygons can be made up of more than 1 triangle)

For a 1million triangle model, an STL binary is 47.6 MB and STL ascii is 202 MB

You can load & export either using NetFabb Basic (and it will show the triangle count too).

Another non-issue that can cause an unspecified upload fail result is the complexity of a model, for instance if a model is made up of many rings that interlock e.g. chainmaille, Shapeways MeshMedic can spend so long checking the integrity of the model that it reaches it preset time-out (20 minutes iirc). A single near 1million triangle colour model or multiple smaller colour models in one file can also cause the same time-out.

Paul,

[hr][hr]