Home » Support » 3D Applications » Maya / Let Me Get This Straight...
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Maya / Let Me Get This Straight... [message #66890] Fri, 26 April 2013 05:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar PixelPixie718  is currently offline PixelPixie718
Go to all my models
Hello!

I've been using Maya for a few years, albeit more for animation/motion graphics.

I've got a rigged character that I've posed and want to optimize for 3d prototype printing.

The character is separated into logical pieces (head, torso, dress, etc) and each of these pieces have already been uv mapped and textured using mental ray.

Now, I've gathered that - a) I'm going to have to combine these pieces meaning a whole hell of a lot of vertex merging and face cleanup, etc b) I'm going to have to use regular shaders instead of mental ray shaders - no biggie.

A lot of tutorials on this subject said I would have to bake my pose and some suggested baking the textures. For the life of me, I've never quite grasped baking. And any tutorials I've found on the subject of baking don't directly address baking in preparation for 3d printing.

But since the scene file doesn't have any animation - just a rigged character - isn't baking kind of overkill anyway? (I've managed to get the character to export as an .obj - the blendshapes came along for the ride, but I just deleted them.)

Also, wouldn't texture baking be pointless since my geometry-tweaking will affect the UVs anyway?

Basically - I'm wondering if I'm correct in this train of thought: my next step is to take my .obj of the pose, tweak the geometry to make it one solid mesh, extrude inward, insert discrete holes, and then re-uv map the whole thing? And then Photoshop my original textures into the new map? Is that correct? Or am I taking a long way around?

Thanks!!!

Re: Maya / Let Me Get This Straight... [message #67051 is a reply to message #66890 ] Mon, 29 April 2013 12:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I don't know Maya, but I don't think you have to join everything. The upload software will automatically join intersecting bodies, and I believe it will maintain the texture mapping. I'm not 100% sure on this, but worth a shot if it will save you some work. Unfortunately we don't support textured OBJ's yet. So you'll have to do VRML or X3D.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Any 3ds Max users out there want to help a guy out?
Next Topic:Complete n00b here needs advice as a Rhino user

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.