Home » Community » Work in progress » First Model - Looking for an Evaluation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
First Model - Looking for an Evaluation [message #66835] Thu, 25 April 2013 04:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar MaxMahem  is currently offline MaxMahem
Go to all my models
So I just complete work on my first model for printing with Shapeway. I've not done much 3d modeling and never had anything 3d printed before. For some reason I (perhaps foolishly?) picked a tiny piece for my first model.

The piece is only ~12x6x3mm with details of ~.1mm.

So questions:

#1. Can I expect any of the sub ~.1mm details to come out in the final print?
#2. Looking at the materials it seems that Frosted Ultra Detail will be the only material suitable for printing this level of detail, but I could be wrong?
#3. If I wanted to do multiple copies of this model in a single print job would it be necessary to add a 'sprue?' Is this even possible?
#4. Are there any other design considerations I may have missed?
#5. Is there a 'best' orientation for my models?

I've attached the exported STL to this post, but I have the original Blender file if that is better for giving feedback.

Anyways I'd appreciate any answer and feedback the community might be able to give. Looking forward to printing my first models with Shapeway!

Re: First Model - Looking for an Evaluation [message #66841 is a reply to message #66835 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 06:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
#1. Can I expect any of the sub ~.1mm details to come out in the final print?
Yes, but it starts getting real iffy below this point for Frosted Ultra Detail.

#2. Looking at the materials it seems that Frosted Ultra Detail will be the only material suitable for printing this level of detail, but I could be wrong?
True. If you want those 0.1 mm engravings to come out you'll have to use the FUD.

#3. If I wanted to do multiple copies of this model in a single print job would it be necessary to add a 'sprue?' Is this even possible?
Yes it is possible and no you don't need to use sprues for FUD. There is a one million polygon limit and Shapeways may object to trying to make too many parts in one order since they need to be handled by hand. When you make an order it will be reviewed to see if there will be any problems with it. Then again, if you did use sprues you could fit as many as will fit in a the maximum print volume and under one million polygons. Doing it this way Shapeways would not object at all.

#4. Are there any other design considerations I may have missed?
No, looks good other than some small errors that will need to be corrected. Looks like your boolean went bad.

https://sites.google.com/site/shapewaysforumimages/_/rsrc/1366870598135/home/Errors.jpg

In this screen cap of your model displayed by 3D-Tool you can see that your model is in 3 shells. The yellow lines are open edges. The white areas are reversed normals. You mayyyyyy be able to automatically fix these errors with Netfabb Studio Basic or the Netfabb Cloud Service. Both are free.

#5. Is there a 'best' orientation for my models?
Yes, but Shapeways will decide the print orientation for you. There is no way at this time for customers to specify print orientation.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: First Model - Looking for an Evaluation [message #66889 is a reply to message #66841 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 03:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MaxMahem  is currently offline MaxMahem
Go to all my models
Thanks so much for your help.

The errors in the model were troubling to fix, but after struggling with it a bit, I managed to get them correct. As your surmised, the Boolean join did not want to play nicely with me. Thank you also for the recommendation of Netfab. Even when everything looked good in blender it seemed I still got some errors after exporting to STL. Perhaps introduced during the export process? Or maybe I'm just not good enough to catch them in the app.

Two more questions:
#1. I was considering applying some subtle smoothing, but given the tiny scale of this model I wasn't sure it would be worth my time as that level of detail might not show up. Is this assumption correct?

#2. How high up should I emboss my text/symbol for best effect? I went with .5mm though it does seem to stick out a little awkwardly to me. Would a lower height of embossment still give me a good effect? Should it be even higher? The target material for this is Frosted Ultra Detail.

I've uploaded an update copy of the mesh as well.

Again thanks for everyone's time and attention.

Re: First Model - Looking for an Evaluation [message #66910 is a reply to message #66889 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 14:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
You're welcome. Smile

It looks great! No errors that I can detect.

#1. I was considering applying some subtle smoothing, but given the tiny scale of this model I wasn't sure it would be worth my time as that level of detail might not show up. Is this assumption correct?

Yes, that is correct. At this scale you are pushing the boundaries quite a bit and everything is going to have a rounded off appearance. Also, the whole surface is going to be a little wavy with a micro crystalline like appearance in some areas.

#2. How high up should I emboss my text/symbol for best effect? I went with .5mm though it does seem to stick out a little awkwardly to me. Would a lower height of embossment still give me a good effect? Should it be even higher? The target material for this is Frosted Ultra Detail.

In fact the embossments are a violation of the design rules for FUD. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier. The dimensions for embossments and engravings are based on a one to one ratio for most of Shapeways' materials. Consequently, you'll need to lower the embossments down to 0.1 mm, which is the thinnest wall you have. Your thinnest wall is found in the N and you may be able to thicken this somewhat to say 0.2 mm without losing too much proportion and then you'd be allowed to raise everything up to 0.2 mm.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.

Previous Topic:Sapphire Ring
Next Topic:problems with texture help!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.