Home » Community » General Discussion » Wall thickness of a surface
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wall thickness of a surface [message #66770] Wed, 24 April 2013 07:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar robhare  is currently offline robhare
Go to my shop

Gooday
I draw my model in Rhino and use may surfaces instead of solids and export to .OBJ for uploading to MyShop.
Just wondering , how does the printer treat wall thickness for surfaces ,will the thickness be ?
Thanks
Rob
Re: Wall thickness of a surface [message #66776 is a reply to message #66770 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 09:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Not exactly sure what you are asking here.

You must define your object exactly as you wish it to be printed. For example if your object is a cube (six faces connected by 12 edge, normals all pointing outward) you will get a solid cube. If you want a hollow cube you must define the internal surfaces (normals pointing inwards) and a hole (tunnel), connecting the two. The thickness of the walls will then be defined by you as the distance between the inner and outer surfaces. A face of a 3d model has no thickness of its own, it defines the boundary of an object.

Think of it like this: the printers will do exactly what you ask them to, no more and no less. Shapeways will fix some problems with meshes, but not always in the way you hope or would expect, so it's better to get your mesh as you want it.

Don't know if this helps or not, good luck!
Re: Wall thickness of a surface [message #66808 is a reply to message #66770 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 14:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar trishycakes  is currently offline trishycakes
Go to my shop
I use Rhino as well. It will treat the space between two surfaces as a wall if it is a closed object. You will not be able to print it if it just a single surface that is not closed as it has no defined wall thickness.

If you are concerned with wall thickness you can always use the command 'offsetsrf' which will allow you to offset that surface a determined amount. That is perfect for making exact wall thicknesses.

Previous Topic:Polyamide and color
Next Topic:Uh oh! Seems like your model needs a bit more love before our robots can work their magic.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.