Exporting to X3D from Blender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarySG, Apr 19, 2013.

1. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    I'm currently trying to learn to use blender for it's full color benefits, but i'm having trouble exporting the model. when I export the file as an X3D file type, and upload it, it uploads without a texture. I'm new to the program, but I can't quite understand what I could be missing. I looked up tutorials on UV wrapping, that didn't work, nor did simply assigning the object a blanket material.
    Thanks for any help :confused

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Hi,

when you upload an x3d file where the object has a texture, you must create a zip file with the model file AND the texture file in and upload the zip file to SW.

Put your model file in a directory and then put the texture file in the same directory. Select them both and then 'Send to' a 'Compressed (Zipped) folder'.

Just as a check you can also give your object a material with a colour and upload that directly as x3d, without a texture. It will be just one colour but you will have a coloured object in SW.

Yet another approach which does not require zipping is vertex painting: I'm not too familiar with this, but it does work.

Good Luck!!

3. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    Thanks for the pointers :D

I've painted it now in vertex paint, but I've yet again hit a snag. It uploaded to the site without any color, yet offers it in full-color sandstone :confused

Am I supposed to save the paint job as the model's texture somehow?

4. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    Scratch that, after watching a tutorial online, I realized that I had to assign a material to the model, and then select the option to use the vertex paint for the material.

So I did indeed upload the colored model to SW successfully, thank you for the assistance :p

Last thing I have to do is find out why some of the faces aren't being painted, leaving black triangles spotted all over the model. Hm :confused Youtube, here I come :D

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Depends on where you see the black triangles - the rotating 3d preview is buggy. Best check with a vrml/x3d viewer such as view3dscene.

6. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    It isn't looking correct in View3DScene either, it's like those faces are invisible in that program, and blacked out on the site. Is there any way I can ask customer service to look at how the 3D model will print in full color SS before I actually order it? I wouldn't want to order it with the black triangles :confused

I looked for tutorials for fixing the black faces, but couldn't find any :/

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    It could be that the black triangles are inside out.
    Try 'Ctrl N' to recalculate outside normals

8. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    I tried Ctr+N, entire sections of the model dissappeared.

I feel like those faces are actually missing, when I view it in edit mode, triangles are see-through. Is there a repair function? I think that must be what SW is doing, repairing and filling those missing triangles, but obviously not having a color to go on them, because they weren't there to start with.

9. GarySG
    GarySG Member
    Here, I've attached the file, if anyone would like to give it a go. I'm sure there's some simple command that could fix it.. hopefully.

EDIT: If it makes any difference, I used sculpt to create it.

Attached Files:

10. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    In my experience, if the color preview isn't right, then it won't print correctly either.

11. GarySG
    GarySG Member