Home » Community » It arrived! » Sandstone treatment
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sandstone treatment [message #66435] Fri, 19 April 2013 14:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar ssegal0  is currently offline ssegal0
Go to my shop
I recently uploaded my first piece and will be receiving it in a couple of weeks. My main concern is that the full color sandstone is fragile. I am worried about chipping or breakage. Do you guys use any products such as a polyurethane spray or paint to strengthen the sandstone? My piece is a 1.5 inch character and i'm not too sure how fragile it will turn out.

Any suggestions or ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Re: Sandstone treatment [message #66436 is a reply to message #66435 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The pieces are sealed with a super glue like material. This makes it stronger than a raw piece, but still fairly fragile.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Sandstone treatment [message #66442 is a reply to message #66436 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 15:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, normal handling is okay, but if you drop it onto something hard it could chip or break. Treat it like a coffee mug and you should be okay.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Sandstone treatment [message #66448 is a reply to message #66442 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 16:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar ssegal0  is currently offline ssegal0
Go to my shop
Thanks for the responses. It will be used as a card protector on a poker table which is a soft felt table so feel like I won't have to reinforce the piece especially if it already has superglue substance on outside.

Previous Topic:Got my Companion Cube!
Next Topic:1:3 Scale Walther PS44 Scope arrived!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.