Shipping to Iran :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 339966_deleted, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Hi
    Is that because of sanctions that my country(Iran) is not on your list ? :( If so what can I do?
    Thanx

2. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hi Soheyla,

I'm really sorry to inform you that UPS currently does not make any deliveries to Iran.

As we currently use UPS and have no ability to change this, we are not able to send packages to your address.

My sincere apologies.

Best,
    Mitchell

3. OK , Thank you for your response Mitchell . No need for apology at all :)

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    There is a way to do it, go here to learn more. Both Shitto and Bongo ship to Iran from the US and Europe. :)

5. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Both appear to be US firms - which probably implies more restrictions than apply to EU businesses. I just checked out of curiosity - shipito explicitly lists Iran as one of three countries the will not deliver to, and bongo returns a blank page when you search for shipping details (same as it does e.g. for
    North Korea).
    AFAIK, the EU sanctions would not block export of typical shapeways parts (except perhaps camera/quadcopter mounts that might classify as
    "surveillance instruments") but UPS probably wants to avoid the political and customs trouble. Maybe there is a European equivalent to the two
    companies - else you could try to find out if your hometown has a partnership with some European city where the partnership committee may be able
    to provide contacts.

6. UniverseBecoming
    Yep. You're right Mkroeker, thanks for checking into that in detail, I'll keep this in mind for future reference. When I saw Iran on the drop down lists at both companies I assumed they did; I didn't go as far as reading their FAQs.

Soheyla, I did find one UK company that ships to Iran that you might be interested in looking into. Go here.

You'd have to use two shipping companies to get it to you, but it would be possible. Possible but expensive. :p

7. FabMeJewelry
    FabMeJewelry Member
    As Mitchell said, Shapeways only ships orders via UPS.

You could pick it up your self in US-New York or NL-Eindhoven :confused

8. @UniverseBecoming :
    Thanks for your response. I read that thread before posting this one. ( and I also never heard about those firms before checking that thread :p ). But as Mkroeker mentioned they don't ship to Iran.

@Mkroeker :
    Thank you for your detailed response. I think ship2me ships to Iran. But it would double the shipping costs. :(

Thanks for taking time to find that. £215.92 for 3kg package ! Just a bit expensive. :laughing:

@FabMeJewelry :
    Thanks.

9. UniverseBecoming
    Yeah, that's too crazy of a price to bother with! :laughing:

What do you want to ship anyway? Is there a particular Shapeways product you are interested in? If so, keep in mind that all of Shapeways products are also non tangible. Consequently, if you had a product in mind you could write the designer and see about buying the digital file from them, which would be transferred by downloading it or emailing it. Then it would just be a matter of finding a 3D printer in your area to have it printed.

No matter where you are in the world everybody is using the same 3D printers since due to patents there are only a handful of companies that sell them, so you would basically get the same thing no matter where the item is printed. :)

10. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Hmm - I do not see Iran listed on their "shipping rates" page... also a US company...

Just mention that to one of the Canadians here in the forum :D

11. @ UniverseBecoming :
    I want some of my intangible 3d models :D to be printed in stainless steel. I'm quite sure that there is no company in Iran offering 3D printing in stainless steel.

@mkroeker :
    Oh, you are right, the company i found was shipusatoday. ship2me stick in my mind because of its low prices :D . myamericanshipper and myusshoppnship are also US companies but they both ship to Iran.

btw sorry for my bad english. :blush:

12. UniverseBecoming
    Look for rapid prototyping, it has been around for decades. If you can find someone to 3D print your models in plastic or wax then they can be made into metal, including stainless steel, using the lost wax casting process.

Also, did you know you can build your own high resolution 3D printer? I'm not talking about the low resolution fused deposition modeling open source 3D printers that everyone has. There is a powder based open source design as well as a few open source digital light projector based designs. The powder based design can be used to print in stainless steel powder which can then be sintered and then infused with bronze.

13. I know They can be made using the lost wax casting method and It may cost less too, But I would like them to be created using 3d printing.

Wow ! WDITOT!? :D

But seriously...do you own a 3d printer james? Did you build it yourself? If so can you 3d print my models? :p

14. UniverseBecoming
    No, I currently do not own a 3D printer of any kind, but I've been thinking of building one. In fact, I already have all the components to build a DLP projector based machine, I just haven't got around to assembling it because I've been working on a completely different way of doing it. I do have a 4 axis CNC mill and a 2 axis CNC lathe that I built myself years ago.

One of my rings, my iron cross ring, is currently manufactured by lost wax casting, but the master silicone mold for casting the wax patterns was made from a ring that was 3D printed in plastic.