Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66136] Mon, 15 April 2013 10:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar Gerard  is currently offline Gerard
Go to all my models
I am looking for a way to create a brick wall texture for my Sketchup model in H0 scale/ 1:87 in Sketchup 8.

Can you please advice how to create a texture?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66145 is a reply to message #66136 ] Mon, 15 April 2013 15:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
The easiest way is to look for a texture that's already made in the 3D warehouse

Alternatively if you have an image you like, just import it as a texture

Cheers,

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66186 is a reply to message #66145 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 10:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Many thanks. I am wondering how the texture would be printed. I mean, how will you see the joints of the stone (hopefully translated well).

Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66190 is a reply to message #66186 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 12:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If you print it in full color sandstone, you should be able to see the joints.

If you are asking about creating depth or the joints so you can print in FUD(or other material), then that's a different question than I understood. In that case, you'll just need to model the joints - tedious but effective. In either case, you'll likely need to exaggerate the brick size somewhat to be able to see the details...look over the specific guidelines for minimum detail for the material you'll be printing in and calculate from there how big to make the bricks so they'll be visible.

Pssst! I wrote a book to help you quickly get your Sketchup models ready for printing. Click here to get it on Amazon
Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66195 is a reply to message #66190 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 13:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Appologies for the misunderstanding. It is indeed about the depth of the joints.

If I understand correct, I have to draw all lines manually in my draft to create the "texture"?

[Updated on: Tue, 16 April 2013 13:47 UTC]

Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66239 is a reply to message #66195 ] Wed, 17 April 2013 04:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yes, but you can achieve it pretty quickly by copying brick-sized rectangles around the wall face, then push-pulling the joints (which will be one face if done correctly) all at once. Does that make sense?

index.php?t=getfile&id=30717&private=0

• Attachment: Capture.JPG
    (Size: 132.94KB, Downloaded 100 time(s))

Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66241 is a reply to message #66239 ] Wed, 17 April 2013 06:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yes it does make sense. Many thanks.
Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66506 is a reply to message #66241 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 08:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
An update. I have tested this but it seems to be a lot of work. It will cost a lot of time because my design is quite big with a lot of windows etc. This means I can't simple copy bricks because they will overlap the windows. This will cause the windows will be "closed".

I will investigate other solutions. Probably you, or other members got some tips Smile

Thanks in advance for your help.
Re: Brick wall texture for Sketchup in scale [message #66576 is a reply to message #66506 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 14:10 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
If you have Pro, you could use the Solid Tools to subtract the joints in one boolean operation. I don't know of any faster way to do it in Sketchup free though...

Previous Topic:Upload Sketchup file
Next Topic:Smooth Circles

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.