Home » Community » General Discussion » UK Orders in GBP please
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
UK Orders in GBP please [message #66135] Mon, 15 April 2013 10:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar staticbuddha  is currently offline staticbuddha
Go to all my models
Hello Shapeways

I have recently been using your company and found that when ordering from the UK I can only view the costs in EURO and not GBP. While this isn't a major problem it quite hard to estimate the real cost until after making the payment. The difference isn't much but it would be nice to buy in GBP.

Also while i'm here it would be fantastic to have slow delivery which costs less then the standard delivery to also help reduce costs.

Thanks
Stu
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66427 is a reply to message #66135 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 13:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Lukin  is currently offline Lukin
Go to all my models
Whenever I want to see something in my own currency, I google it like this: "150 EUR to GBP", it will show you how much it is instantly without going onto another site.
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66518 is a reply to message #66427 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 15:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Go here. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66532 is a reply to message #66518 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 16:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Works great.
Don't try it in edit mode though, You will be waiting forever.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66626 is a reply to message #66135 ] Mon, 22 April 2013 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
HI staticbuddha,

thanks for bringing that up. Regarding currency, our first priority is to properly support Euros everywhere on our website.

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66688 is a reply to message #66626 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 07:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Just reverting (or changing) so that6 users have the choice would be good. Even though I am in the UK, Shapeways pricing is a static value in USD and it makes sense to display the true price in USD no matter what choice of currency customer chooses to pay in.

Paul
(p.s. I'm not a fan of the Euro and will avoid it when I can)
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66693 is a reply to message #66688 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 08:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 07:42

(p.s. I'm not a fan of the Euro and will avoid it when I can)

I live and work in the UK. I get paid in GBP, pay my bills in GBP. If I shop on the internet I pay in GBP or USD. I have no need or desire to use the Euro. In fact the only time I even see a Euro is when I am on holiday.
So you are presuming that because we are part of the European Community we use Euro's.
WE DON'T.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66705 is a reply to message #66693 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey JACANT,

Quote:

So you are presuming that because we are part of the European Community we use Euro's.

Not really, but we simply have to make choices when developing our service. We decided to start with USD/EUR and may be adding other currencies later.

Bart

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66707 is a reply to message #66705 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
bartv wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 09:35

We decided to start with USD/EUR

Bart

That is not quite true.
When I first joined Shapeways there was an option to choose the country and currency of where one lives.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66708 is a reply to message #66707 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ehh, really? You could choose ANY currency on our site? I really can't remember that anymore :-/

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66711 is a reply to message #66708 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 09:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Bart,

The choice of using either USD or Euro ended with the advent of InShape2.0 last August (2012).

Paul
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66712 is a reply to message #66711 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
All I am saying is as the thread started "it would be nice to buy in GBP."
That said, why do I have to use EUR. I would prefer the price to be in USD
I don't use Euros

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66713 is a reply to message #66712 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 10:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, I hear you Smile

We're working on bringing THAT part of currency selection back - so you'll have the choice of seeing everything in USD or EUR, and not have it forced on you because of your billing address.

Bart

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66715 is a reply to message #66712 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 11:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
JACANT wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:00

Oh...... the little Englanders are out in force today.............

I can't see why USD is any different to EUR. They are both foreign currencies. Perhaps Shapeways should take the lead here and price everything only in Renminbi

Bill Bedford
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66718 is a reply to message #66715 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi All

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to my reasoning behind my original post

To be honest its just from a money point of view for me

As I have ordered around 100 individual items in one order, I really need to see the per each cost as Im a business and every penny counts. I can of course estimate the exchange rate and divide it by the amount of objects per order but this is difficult as it not very accurate to my banks exchange rate and could loss several pounds depending on what day I upload the model to what day I order it if the exchange rate fluxuates

My bank also charge me £1.20 for every non GBP transaction

So for me its just the fact that I lose a bit of money and its hard to calculate the per each cost until the transaction has been completed and I have been given the exchange rate.

Cheers
Stewie Smile

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66726 is a reply to message #66715 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 16:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
BillBedford wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 11:41

JACANT wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:00

Oh...... the little Englanders are out in force today.............

I can't see why USD is any different to EUR. They are both foreign currencies. Perhaps Shapeways should take the lead here and price everything only in Renminbi

Grow up!

Shapeways advertised price is USD.
Shapeways shop payments are USD.
The advertised prices are static in USD as that is Shapeways pricing.

When I received a 'sold' email the amount is shown as Euros, by the time 6 or so weeks has gone by the amount that I am paid is not the same as the amount in Euros.

When I want to buy something from Shapeways, I have to use PayPal's conversion to pay in Euros - this is not the same as Shapeways conversion rate.

It does not matter that I am UK based, (or even a ' little englander'), it is my CHOICE to used the currency I am comfotable with (in this case the advertised USD)

I shall say this to you.
Leave your comments at the login page and, please, be a little understanding about where this matter is coming from.

No dis-respect or anything.

Paul
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66731 is a reply to message #66726 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 18:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
'touche'

Thank you Paul

Rob

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66732 is a reply to message #66726 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 16:58

When I received a 'sold' email the amount is shown as Euros, by the time 6 or so weeks has gone by the amount that I am paid is not the same as the amount in Euros.

Currencies can go up as well as down.

Quote:

When I want to buy something from Shapeways, I have to use PayPal's conversion to pay in Euros - this is not the same as Shapeways conversion rate.

The same would be true if you bought from Shapeways in USD

Quote:

It does not matter that I am UK based, (or even a ' little englander'), it is my CHOICE to used the currency I am comfotable with (in this case the advertised USD)

You do indeed have many more choices than you suggest. You could order stuff from UK suppliers, or US suppliers and pay import duties instead of VAT. Or you could just open a euro account at a UK bank and pay Shapeways from that. But the bottom line is that Shapeways gives you a much better deal than you can get anywhere else and you are still wingeing about a few coppers.

Bill Bedford
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66733 is a reply to message #66732 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
seriously can everyone stop getting so heated and personal over this.

Shapeway is a fantastic company and it just constructive criticism to ask to pay in our own currency and to be paid in your own currency without lossing out to currency exchanges and bank charges.

We all love 3D printing and all love shapeways, business is business and every penny does count unfortunately especially when some of us are spending money which breaks the bank to take a risk in a new business such as i am.

Peace to all,

Stewie Smile
Rolling Eyes
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66734 is a reply to message #66732 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 19:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I so do no 'whinge' about coppers - I am friendly with many Police Officers. (uk coinage these days is mostly copper clad steel, and not the propper old skool 'bronze' coinage that ended in 1993.

I so do not whinge about currencies or conversion rates.

I shall point out to Shapeways (yet again) that the ADVERTISED price is in USD. What I pay or receive is not the ADVERTISED price.

Today chatting with the manager in my local ASDA store got my kids a free 15 pack of Mini Cheddars, why? Bescause I pointed out the error in their ADVERTISED price for the product. They were advertising (i.e. point of sale, shelf edge label = POS SEL) a 15 pack for the price they tried to charge for an 18 pack... nit picking you may say, however ASDA know they could be slapped with a hefty fine from the OFT for that behaviour.

Nuff sed.

Bye.
Paul

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2013 19:23 UTC]

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66754 is a reply to message #66732 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 00:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
BillBedford, the issue would be less glaring if Shapeways paid in EUR to those that are forced to pay in EUR. But no, they pay in USD even to those forced to pay in EUR. And they only use Paypal, instead of setting proper methods many companies smaller than SW already use, like handling other payment gateways, handling cards directly and using bank transfers (this would mean no comissions with the right banks in Europe). With some countries, it's even worse as the game involves 3 currencies. So "thanks" to Shapeways, Paypal is making free money from people reinvesting markup into new products.

And thus, it's pretty normal that people is angry, or even just boicot. *looks at the small bunch of new protypes piling up*
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66891 is a reply to message #66135 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 06:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
Shapeways use Paypal, and I run balances in US Dollars, UK Pounds,
and Euros. Why Shapeways cannot do the same, and have all three currencies
available on the site sounds more of a handicap than a help.

I think there is an element of inflexibility in thinking on the part of Shapeways.
It is a good idea having a nominee director for one of the new investors.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 April 2013 06:14 UTC]

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66892 is a reply to message #66891 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 06:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

I think there is an element of inflexibility in thinking on the part of Shapeways.

I don't think this is true. Clearly it would be better for everyone (probably including SW) if true multi-currency functionality were available. However I suspect they are hostage to poor design of their systems in the first instance, and not realising that this would be an issue.

If you you make foundations for a shed, when the goals change you cannot just build a skyscraper, or even add a jacuzzi. I am sure they want to add this functionality, but it will not be two new functions/procedures and a recompile....
Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66894 is a reply to message #66892 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 07:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
AmLachDesigns wrote on Fri, 26 April 2013 06:21

I suspect they are hostage to poor design of their systems in the first instance,
and not realising that this would be an issue.

Most computer systems suffer from this, and grow "Topsy Turvey":
There is a phenomena called "Intellectual Investment" that causes it

Knowing what they know now, it might be best to spend time in Design and
then introduce a complete overhaul.

One thing I am finding disconcerting is to see Cost when viewing My Shop,
when Cost is already available in My Models. My Shop needs to be at Selling Price.
In descriptions, it would be nice to have paragraphs for better presentation.

For international trade the US Dollar has been the quotation currency. since
the 1950's.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 April 2013 07:53 UTC]

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66895 is a reply to message #66892 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 07:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi all,

I'm talking to our finance and product teams to learn more about the backgrounds or our multiple currency support. I'll be back asap with more information!

Bart

Re: UK Orders in GBP please [message #66909 is a reply to message #66895 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 14:40 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Bart -

Shapeways has leverage getting shop items into the
VAT areas of Europe - that should be key to developing
the Shop format.

Currently sending items into the UK suffer a draconian
charge by the Royal Mail, with fees to collect the VAT on Imports.
Selling in UK Pounds makes sense.

Also, if legislation goes through in the US, Shapeways will be
charging State Sales Taxes for each of the 50 States.

Previous Topic:What's Safe for the Skin ?
Next Topic:3D printing companies

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.