Home » Community » Work in progress » Ball and socket help for character
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Ball and socket help for character [message #66095] Sun, 14 April 2013 05:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar MikkelSandbag  is currently offline MikkelSandbag
Go to all my models
I am trying to do something similar to what wolfv is doing with their "friction ball and socket clamp." The main issue I'm running into so far is that I'm not sure how much space to leave on the socket part of the device. I guess what I'm asking is how much room does one need to leave between moving parts? Does the material expand/contract during or after the printing process? I've included a screenshot of what I have so far; hopefully it is clear what is going on. Thanks!

-Mikkel Sandberg
Re: Ball and socket help for character [message #66098 is a reply to message #66095 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 06:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What material would you like to print in?

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Ball and socket help for character [message #66100 is a reply to message #66098 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 07:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Either the full color sandstone or the strong and flexible plastic. I just need something cheap.

-Mikkel Sandberg
Re: Ball and socket help for character [message #66107 is a reply to message #66100 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 13:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I haven't done it before, others that have will post their experiences if one of them happen to stop by the forum and see your thread. I do know that you basically need zero clearance so it cannot be printed in situ without being extremely loose. The minimum in situ clearance for strong and flexible 0.5 mm and for full color sandstone it's 0.9 mm so those clearances would be way outside the range.

If it were my design challenge and I were doing a design for CNC I would go with 0.0254 mm and use a snap in design. The materials are designed to come out of the printing machines to be as close as possible to real world measurements, however they do not have this kind of accuracy for the two materials you are interested in. Consequently, I would go with a clearance of zero and if needed the ball could be sanded if the joint ended up being too stiff.

For easy snapping in of the ball I would design in 3 or 4 slots on the ball, think collect chuck, so the ball could flex and become smaller during the snapping in procedure. The sand stone material is not very flexible at all, but you might get away with this small amount of flex without it cracking.

Are you doing an action figure?

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Ball and socket help for character [message #66131 is a reply to message #66107 ] Mon, 15 April 2013 06:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Wow, that's really helpful! It's not an action figure per say, it is a little robot guy that I was hoping to give his shoulder joint the ability to move a little, just for fun. I just wasn't sure how much room to make when modeling it, but it seems that it is best to not make a whole lot of room between the ball and the socket but just to have them pretty much be on top of each other, if I understand what you are saying.

-Mikkel Sandberg
Re: Ball and socket help for character [message #66141 is a reply to message #66131 ] Mon, 15 April 2013 14:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If you want to do a 'snap-in' design, then I think that rules out FCS (sandstone). I have not used it myself, but it seems that it is rigid and brittle - i.e. more of a 'snap-oh dear!' design.

I would use strong and flexible for sure. For in-situ printing of the joints (or other mechanical parts) in wsf they recommend a min clearance of 0.6mm. Also be aware that if you print these joints there may be powder residue in them that you will have to 'work out' before they operate correctly. Here is a page that may be useful designing mechanical parts for 3d printing there are more tutorials here tutorials. Of course if you go for polished wsf the interior surface of the joints will not be polished!

You can also search the forums (use the link at the top of this page not the general (and useless) SW search), as several people have created these type of joints successfully before.

Good luck
Re: Ball and socket help for character [message #66181 is a reply to message #66141 ] Tue, 16 April 2013 03:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank you. This is all really helpful Smile

-Mikkel Sandberg

Previous Topic:material selection
Next Topic:This i just goatta share :)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.