Home » Community » General Discussion » When might we see new colors?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
When might we see new colors? [message #66072] Fri, 12 April 2013 17:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
Hey, I guess this is more of a question for those who work at Shapeways than to the community, but when might we see some new colors for the plastics? I'm really looking forward to a green color, also perhaps a yellow, grey even Very Happy I understand that there's testing that has to go into new materials, but I would think that new dyes would be easier than new materials Razz Anywho, just inquiring, I'm a pretty big user of the dyed plastics Very Happy

Thanks,

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"
Re: When might we see new colors? [message #66102 is a reply to message #66072 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 07:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DaBroNrw  is currently offline DaBroNrw
Go to all my models
Some fresh colors would be nice...
a brown could be also an option...
Also like a green and grey. And think about a flesh color for character...

[Updated on: Sun, 14 April 2013 07:49 UTC]

Re: When might we see new colors? [message #66110 is a reply to message #66102 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 14:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That's a good point Gair, there wouldn't be much R&D associated with that.

If Shapeways wanted to do R&D for this I would have four tanks of dye. They would be red, yellow, blue and black. The colors would be diluted so that multiple dips would be necessary to obtain the full color saturation. I would then use a scara robot arm to do the dipping. The robot could be programed to produce thousands of colors and shades of gray by simply dipping in the proper colors for the proper amounts of time.

To prevent contamination between the different color tanks a rinsing and drying procedure could be programed in between each color change. Multiple baskets could be used with a single robot arm so that very high volume could be achieved.

By the way, speaking of robots, you know how you have workers digging those parts out of the powder cakes and manually cleaning each part? Well, you don't need people to do that! Very Happy The reason is, you know exactly what those parts are and exactly where those parts are within the powder cakes. Consequently, a robot can be automatically programed to dig into the powder cake and grab each part for automatic processing. Another benefit is that there would be no more lost parts or confused parts since the robots would know exactly what parts belonged to each order and so it would be impossible for these kinds of problems to occur.

Also, you wouldn't need to wait until the cakes cooled before processing cuz the robots could very carefully get the parts out without damaging them. If it were my company there would be NOBODY WORKING THERE! Laughing It would be completely automated! Very Happy

By the way, did you know that you can cool those powder cakes by placing them in a vacuum chamber, drawing a moderate vacuum and then replacing with chilled air a few times? Yep! Very Happy

All of this is patent pending! Talk to my patent attorneys if interested! HAHAHA! Laughing

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: When might we see new colors? [message #66138 is a reply to message #66072 ] Mon, 15 April 2013 12:50 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I also want green. Hopefully we'll see some new colors soon.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com

Previous Topic:My Shapeways project on Hackaday
Next Topic:Meetups in UK: London, Newcastle

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.