Home » Support » 3D Printing » Hallow Obj files
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hallow Obj files [message #65945] Thu, 11 April 2013 03:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar Squeakers  is currently offline Squeakers
Go to all my models
Hi guys, I'm searching everywhere but can't find an answer to this problem. Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to make my models hallow so I can 3d print them cheaper.

In 3ds max, I export to obj...

and things go pretty well at that point.

My model is the right size and everything. It's even the right shape.

But on the inside... it's not hallow.

I'm using the shell modifier in 3ds max. I know it's hallow!

But exporting to obj breaks it.

So do what now?

Thanks again!
Re: Hallow Obj files [message #65979 is a reply to message #65945 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 12:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Make sure you have a hole that extends to the outside that connect the inner and outer surfaces. If you were to use the shell command on a sphere and uploaded it to Shapeways the automated software at Shapeways will delete the inner sphere. So, you need to connect the inner sphere with the outer sphere thus making a hole. Also too, you need to have a hole or multiple holes so Shapeways can remove unused material. Check the specifications for the material you want to use to find out the specific specifications for these support material removal holes.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.

Previous Topic:Clarification on Ceramic dimension requirements
Next Topic:Suggest a material

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.