Home » Community » General Discussion » Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65754] Mon, 08 April 2013 19:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Hey Shapeways,

As always, I've been trying to look into middle grounds between plastic and stainless steel. Here's another suggestion: metal-plated plastic.

Now, I'm not aware of the material properties, so this may not work, but would it be possible to offer a White Strong & Flexible Plastic that is dipped in Stainless Steel, Gold, or Bronze - similar to how you coat Stainless Steel with Bronze and Gold? That way, one could achieve the nice finish of a metal product without as much expense - and depending on the process, one could even print interlocking multiple parts that way, which would be a great step up from the current Stainless Steel.

Thoughts?
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65756 is a reply to message #65754 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 19:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
You mean something like this?
http://www.rayvac.com/process.htm

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65757 is a reply to message #65754 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
The first line on that site is important

"Vacuum metallizing is the process in which a simulated chrome finish is applied to a non-porous substrate such as plastic, metal or glass. This is done under vacuum by evaporating an extremely thin layer of nearly pure aluminum onto the surface to be coated. The machine used to perform the operation is called a vacuum metallizer."

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65761 is a reply to message #65757 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 20:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
From context, I assume Shapeways' plastic is indeed porous?
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65764 is a reply to message #65761 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 21:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker is currently online mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Yes, WSF is porous. (Blog post from September last year)
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65765 is a reply to message #65764 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 21:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cool, thanks for the link Smile

In any case, I'd like to see something like this. Surely there must be a solution to be found. A different plastic perhaps, or a different method of metal coating?
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65769 is a reply to message #65765 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 22:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker is currently online mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
You could try metal effect paints or copper leafing...
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65770 is a reply to message #65769 ] Mon, 08 April 2013 22:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
To be honest, I was hoping for something 'in-Shapeways', as it were... something we could order and have ready to go out of the box. Long-term, obviously. For now, I'm looking Liqmet, it's a liquid metal (not a paint effect metal - literally, liquid metal). I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks, hopefully it goes well Smile
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65796 is a reply to message #65770 ] Tue, 09 April 2013 07:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Maybe polishing makes it non-porous enough for this process to work, it's an interesting technique. One thing I'm a little more worried about is applying this to flexible objects - I suspect the metal plating may crack or snap off?

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65856 is a reply to message #65796 ] Tue, 09 April 2013 22:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I've had SLA parts electroformed; enough metal was put on that the material was no longer flexible, so flaking off wasn't an issue. Sean Wise of Repliform did it. The parts were pretty but it was a skilled process: the design had to be done with it in mind, and if the design isn't simple the operator has to be smart. Sean is a wizard.

The end of the project was that my customers preferred solid metal, and for smaller objects electroforming wasn't cheaper than printing in metal in the first place. Above a certain size I suppose that would be less true...but that's everything I know about electroforming.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 April 2013 22:37 UTC]

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65864 is a reply to message #65856 ] Wed, 10 April 2013 01:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar victorrings  is currently offline victorrings
Go to my shop
sorry bart...

there is another service that offers this technique...

i won't tell you who it is but this is the material info...

Quote:

Plastic coated with silver 925 ‰, solid but non-flexible material. Smooth and shiny surface. Darker reflects may stay on small hollow areas.

Technology

Silver 3D Printing is a two-step process. First the models are printed layer by layer with a high-performance compound. Then objects are coated with silver 925 ‰ using an electrolyse process. In the final stage, objects are delicately polished.
Minimal wall thickness for this technology is 2 mm. The model should not include holes less than 3 mm diameter. The object should not include any moving parts. Hollow areas may keep darker reflects due to the oxydation of the silver.
The minimum size of visible details on the model is 2mm in "positive", and 3mm in "negative" (that is to say for hollow parts).

In 5 cm / 1.97 in : $80.00 - In 10 cm / 3.94 in : $440.00 - In 15 cm / 5.91 in : $1,400.00

my website is online at
http://victorrings.weebly.com/
RINGS GALORE!
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #65969 is a reply to message #65754 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 09:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
That's really interesting info. Thanks!

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Material Suggestion - Plated Strong & Flexible Plastic [message #66116 is a reply to message #65969 ] Sun, 14 April 2013 16:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar NormL  is currently offline NormL
Go to my shop
If you print the items thick enough, flexibility is not an issue. With WSF the issue that you cannot get away from is roughness. I printed polished prints of an Ariel Atom that was raised from a photograph (this was a test and I didn't think this would work) that was WSF and two badges for engine air cleaners out of polished alumide.

http://www.imgtree.net/files/7v9niawrbuxt8g8i51uk.jpg

I sent them to ChromeTech and got them back about a month later.

http://www.imgtree.net/files/d20eld8ilzo9333grhkf.jpg
http://www.imgtree.net/files/f6wp9nbn7p7a12vxes6e.jpg
http://www.imgtree.net/files/32iemd76u3wpvqq2q5cp.jpg

The Atom badge is worthless, but, the other two actually look very cool in person. They are not the traditional chrome though, the surface was just too rough. The surface was not design flat and was a large arc, which is why you see the radial lines. I want to see a chromed FUD print, but, I currently have no plans on that. I don't remember the exact comment from the chrome person, but, there was a limit of smallness he was willing to try. My FUD stuff tends to be much smaller

Previous Topic:Caltech Entrepreneur's Forum seeks panelist for May
Next Topic:My Shapeways project on Hackaday

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.