Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly.

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 256509_deleted, Apr 5, 2013.

1. They said it will stick together, the picture shows the area they mean. I created the design by making it in gimp, 2d and then used their tool to make it into a 3D design. Not sure how to go about making the gap wider without ruining the whole look.

reject 569944_will stick together.jpg

If I have them go ahead with it, could it be finished up minimally by a local jeweler(and not get charged an arm and leg for it?) Is there something that could be done to correct it and not mess up the design too much?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    What material were you wanting to use? The minimal clearance of the gap is based on the design rules for each material.

This is 1.4 inches long correct? Or is 1.4 cm?

Being that this is an easy fix I'll fix it up for you if you tell me the material you want it in. I can also get rid of the stair stepping on the sides too if you want.

To have this finished by a jeweler would be expensive. I'd say at least $50 to $60 US. You'd be better off buying a Dremel tool with a polishing kit and doing it yourself.

3. I was going to use Silvery Glossy and the dimensions were supposed to be (in inches) 0.847 w x 1.4 d x 0.126 h.

Are those dimensions good for a pendant?

4. UniverseBecoming
    Yep! That's the perfect size for a pendant like this. Let me look at that gap and see what's up. I'll be right back.

5. Sweet, thanks! I updated the OP with the original 2D picture I made, guess I made it in Paint.NET not gimp.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  6. UniverseBecoming
    Ok that gap is 0.005 inches, which is about 2 1/2 human hairs wide. It needs to be 0.011 inches to pass.

Held at arms length, 0.011 will hardly be noticeable that there is even a gap there, so it won't effect the design appearance. 0.011 inches is about 6 human hairs wide.

I can fix this up if you want. :)

7. That would be cool if you don't mind, I've just been reading some tutorials on this site and don't think I'm anywhere near being able to do it myself. It's a gift for my wife's birthday and I need to submit the order soon so it gets here in time.

What do you charge to fix it, that will determine whether I will have you do it or not.

8. UniverseBecoming
    I charge $300 per hour and it's going to take me THREE HOURS! BAWHAHAHAHA!!

Just kidding! :laughing:

Nah, this is so simple that I can do it minutes, no charge. I fix stuff up for people on here all the time.

I see you uploaded the original graphic that you started with so I'll use that and make the edges look real nice.

Be back in a bit! :D

9. Sweet, thanks a lot! Everyone on this forum are so helpful and friendly!

I really appreciate the help you and JACANT have given. :)

10. UniverseBecoming
    Here you go! :eek:

It's the exact same thing you had originally except the gap is within specification and the sides are smoothed off.

Attached Files:

11. Very cool, thanks so much! Going to upload it and get it printed! :D

12. UniverseBecoming
    You're welcome! :eek:

13. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  14. Heya, they were great, I actually got them this time, wonder why they didn't come through the first time.

I read the thread you linked, not just your last post, that sounds very cool and I will try it later.

I really appreciate the help you two have given, it's hard to decide which one to print. :confused

15. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  16. I already ordered one in Silver Glossy without a loop, the plan is that she is going to use a leather or natural cord to hold it, most likely this rosary (a Lutheran version) I made her some time ago. We wanted to keep it kind of rustic looking, as it would have at that period of time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013