Home »  » 3D Design » Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65529] Fri, 05 April 2013 11:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar fortgeorge  is currently offline fortgeorge
Go to my shop
They said it will stick together, the picture shows the area they mean. I created the design by making it in gimp, 2d and then used their tool to make it into a 3D design. Not sure how to go about making the gap wider without ruining the whole look.

index.php?t=getfile&id=30144&private=0

If I have them go ahead with it, could it be finished up minimally by a local jeweler(and not get charged an arm and leg for it?) Is there something that could be done to correct it and not mess up the design too much?

[Updated on: Sat, 06 April 2013 02:11 UTC]

Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65592 is a reply to message #65529 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 01:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
What material were you wanting to use? The minimal clearance of the gap is based on the design rules for each material.

This is 1.4 inches long correct? Or is 1.4 cm?

Being that this is an easy fix I'll fix it up for you if you tell me the material you want it in. I can also get rid of the stair stepping on the sides too if you want.

To have this finished by a jeweler would be expensive. I'd say at least $50 to $60 US. You'd be better off buying a Dremel tool with a polishing kit and doing it yourself.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65593 is a reply to message #65592 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I was going to use Silvery Glossy and the dimensions were supposed to be (in inches) 0.847 w x 1.4 d x 0.126 h.

Are those dimensions good for a pendant?
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65594 is a reply to message #65593 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yep! That's the perfect size for a pendant like this. Let me look at that gap and see what's up. I'll be right back.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65595 is a reply to message #65594 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sweet, thanks! I updated the OP with the original 2D picture I made, guess I made it in Paint.NET not gimp.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 April 2013 02:12 UTC]

Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65596 is a reply to message #65595 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ok that gap is 0.005 inches, which is about 2 1/2 human hairs wide. It needs to be 0.011 inches to pass.

Held at arms length, 0.011 will hardly be noticeable that there is even a gap there, so it won't effect the design appearance. 0.011 inches is about 6 human hairs wide.

I can fix this up if you want. Smile

Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65597 is a reply to message #65596 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That would be cool if you don't mind, I've just been reading some tutorials on this site and don't think I'm anywhere near being able to do it myself. It's a gift for my wife's birthday and I need to submit the order soon so it gets here in time.

What do you charge to fix it, that will determine whether I will have you do it or not.
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65598 is a reply to message #65597 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I charge $300 per hour and it's going to take me THREE HOURS! BAWHAHAHAHA!!

Just kidding! Laughing

Nah, this is so simple that I can do it minutes, no charge. I fix stuff up for people on here all the time.

I see you uploaded the original graphic that you started with so I'll use that and make the edges look real nice.

Be back in a bit! Very Happy

Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65600 is a reply to message #65598 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 02:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sweet, thanks a lot! Everyone on this forum are so helpful and friendly!

I really appreciate the help you and JACANT have given. Smile
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65601 is a reply to message #65600 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 04:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here you go! Surprised

It's the exact same thing you had originally except the gap is within specification and the sides are smoothed off.

Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65602 is a reply to message #65601 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 04:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Very cool, thanks so much! Going to upload it and get it printed! Very Happy
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65603 is a reply to message #65602 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 04:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You're welcome! Surprised

Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65630 is a reply to message #65603 ] Sat, 06 April 2013 19:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Hope the files were OK.
Read my last response in this thread, it will be useful for you.
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=13614& amp;start=0&

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65652 is a reply to message #65630 ] Sun, 07 April 2013 00:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Heya, they were great, I actually got them this time, wonder why they didn't come through the first time.

I read the thread you linked, not just your last post, that sounds very cool and I will try it later.

I really appreciate the help you two have given, it's hard to decide which one to print. Confused
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65660 is a reply to message #65652 ] Sun, 07 April 2013 08:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Why don't you order all three in WSF?
I have sent you a link by PM
Here is a view of them.
http://tinyurl.com/chxxrm9

[Updated on: Sun, 07 April 2013 08:46 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Shapeways says I need a greater distance or it will look ugly. [message #65674 is a reply to message #65660 ] Sun, 07 April 2013 13:45 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I already ordered one in Silver Glossy without a loop, the plan is that she is going to use a leather or natural cord to hold it, most likely this rosary (a Lutheran version) I made her some time ago. We wanted to keep it kind of rustic looking, as it would have at that period of time.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 April 2013 13:46 UTC]

Previous Topic:iPhone case dimensions
Next Topic:Trying to add thickness to my object Maya

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.