Home » Support » 3D Design » Physical properties of WSF material
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Physical properties of WSF material [message #65418] Wed, 03 April 2013 15:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar aleksandar  is currently offline aleksandar
Go to my shop
Hello,

I couldn't so far physical parameters of white strong and flexible material. I'm running finite element analysis on my model I wish I can input the exact values for my calculation.

Following fields are required:
Failure Criterion
Density
Elastic Modulus
Poisson Ration
Yield Strenght
Tensile Strenght
Compressive Strenght

Any help on that is appreciated!
Cheers Smile

product deisgn, visualisation & photography www.ad-3d.com
Re: Physical properties of WSF material [message #65420 is a reply to message #65418 ] Wed, 03 April 2013 15:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I meant: I could not find

Re: Physical properties of WSF material [message #65426 is a reply to message #65420 ] Wed, 03 April 2013 17:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Maybe this will help: http://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-strongfl ex.pdf
Re: Physical properties of WSF material [message #65456 is a reply to message #65426 ] Wed, 03 April 2013 22:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The difficulty is that the MSDS gives you data for "solid" Nylon PA22, and the Shapeways WSF is not "solid".

The individual granules of PA22 will follow the MSDS, but the resulting print is a semi-sparse matrix of granules, and will not have the strength/shear properties identical to a "solid" block of the material.

Someone is going to have to sit down and conduct some official tests, and there may be some variation between various printers.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Physical properties of WSF material [message #65461 is a reply to message #65456 ] Thu, 04 April 2013 01:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum is currently online stannum
Go to my shop
Argh... stonysmith, that data is the synthered PA2200, not solid, in general terms and outdated: "The mechanical properties depend on the x-, y-, z-position and on the exposure parameters used." / "The data are based on our latest knowledge and are subject to changes without notice. They do not guarantee properties for a particular part and in a particular application." / "2008 EOS GmbH" / etc, all in the PDF.

If you go to EOS site, you can get the full set of stats, and newer than the PDF, based in the settings of the machines as defined by EOS, with per axis values (useless with SW anyway, orientation is "random", pick the minimum always). Yeah, Shapeways could be using tweaked settings... but in any case, they used some values for a video weeks ago; you could read they had a preset used for computation, so the numbers are already crunched, somewhere.
Re: Physical properties of WSF material [message #65468 is a reply to message #65461 ] Thu, 04 April 2013 07:20 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
That's enough for me!
thanks a lot!

Anyway I'll use the data in the pdf where I will compare the calculated deformation of several versions of my product.. a relative visual reference only

Alex

Previous Topic:Complicated design, Help!
Next Topic:Best way to layout my model in Solidworks?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.