Home » Community » General Discussion » Mold Making
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Mold Making [message #65155] Sat, 30 March 2013 03:03 UTC Go to next message
avatar Symphony  is currently offline Symphony
Go to all my models
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to making jewelry myself so and info would be very helpful. I want to make
a mold I can use to cast resin in but I don't know what the best material I should get it printed in.

Has anyone ever got a mold made for resin?

Thanks,
Symp
Re: Mold Making [message #66826 is a reply to message #65155 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 00:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar StumpChunkman  is currently offline StumpChunkman
Go to all my models
Sorry, I had two pages open and responded on the wrong one.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2013 00:10 UTC]

Re: Mold Making [message #67528 is a reply to message #65155 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 13:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Is it your intention to make a mold that has no undercuts so that the resin will "pop" out? - If not you will have a problem. Even then I think the resin would resist coming out of the mold. I once made a silicone mold from a sandstone model and then used that to make the resin piece. Worked fine, as I suspect most materials here would.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Mold Making [message #67530 is a reply to message #67528 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 13:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Symphony  is currently offline Symphony
Go to all my models
Hey lensman

When you say no undercuts do you mean inner hole in the object? If so then yes, one of the molds does have a inner circle hole in the top of it. My goal was to be able to skip making a silicone mold all together, but I didn't think of the undercut thing thx. I've been told alittle WD-40 does a good job helping release resin.
Re: Mold Making [message #67552 is a reply to message #65155 ] Mon, 06 May 2013 18:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Well a hole would certainly be an extreme undercut, yes. Just keep in mind that you won't get a hard resin out of a hard mold unless there are no undercuts - with the exception being the destruction of the mold in the process.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:For Chopper Fans
Next Topic:SLS powder problems

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.