Home » Community » Work in progress » Building Toy Peg Paradox
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Building Toy Peg Paradox [message #65078] Thu, 28 March 2013 22:12 UTC Go to next message
avatar Tresob  is currently offline Tresob
Go to my shop
Hey, gang!

I've been making upgrade parts for building toy miniatures, and have gotten some reports from customers about pegs not always fitting right with the ports.

I'm using 4.9mm diameter pegs at 1.6mm depth. The ports I make are, likewise, 4.9mm in diameter and at least 1.6mm deep.

It seems that sometimes when items are order in polished white, the pegs are too small to sit tightly in the ports. Other times, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thoughts, fellow Shapers?
Re: Building Toy Peg Paradox [message #65105 is a reply to message #65078 ] Fri, 29 March 2013 09:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
With S&F, there's a few different machines that models get printed in, the print tolerances vary for the size of machine used - hence 0.15mm accuracy on the design guidelines page. Another factor in accuracy is the print orientation of the parts. Then when the model is polished, the process can take off up to 0.1mm of the surface.

There may be a way of working around the peg & hole issue with another approach, what's the application?

Paul

Previous Topic:A Steel Balpoint Pen
Next Topic:Steampunk Airship Medallion

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.