Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon7.gif  Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6411] Thu, 10 September 2009 17:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar kirys  is currently offline kirys
Go to all my models
I all, I'm new at this place (not very used to blender).
I would like to make a key chain with a extruded logo.
I found a tutorial on how to use displacement image to mold my keyring the result look like a vacuum formed shape but it almost like what I have in mind.
The problem is that i'm using a "grid mesh" so the keychain is actually only a thin layer, how can i make it a fill object?
Thank You
K.
Re: Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6415 is a reply to message #6411 ] Thu, 10 September 2009 21:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
In edit mode {Tab} hit {E} then select {Region}.

This extrudes the Face(s).

That what you where after?
Re: Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6418 is a reply to message #6415 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 05:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Ok I'll try to explain what I want to do.
I've designed a logo using gimp, and I want to make a keyring out of it.
The logo is an image that i want to "extrude".
I've used the displace modifier on a grid mesh and obtained the attache image.
But the image as an unwanted rectangular border, it's empty in the back, and have too many triangles.
I wanted to cut the border and fill the back so I've tried to make intersect the image with a cube.
The result is filled but I cannot use decimate cause the shape is not more a "manifold".

Ho can i do this in the right way?.
Thank you
K.

Re: Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6438 is a reply to message #6418 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 13:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I would recommend tracing the logo and turning it into an actual object, not just a 'heightmap'. Here's a tutorial that'll help you with that:

http://www.blendernation.com/tutorials/blender-3d-beginner-t utorial-creating-a-logo/

It's a bit old, so some buttons may have shifted in the mean time.

Please let me know if you need more help with this!

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6440 is a reply to message #6438 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 13:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I' was thinking of that as a latest resource, I'll make a last attempt and the map and the if It does fail I'll go with the "redraw" way (the text part is not a real font so i'll have to redraw it all i'ts going to take a lot of time).
Maybe for be more "print friendly" I should make the font filled and not outlined and everything inset instead of raised.
Re: Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6442 is a reply to message #6440 ] Fri, 11 September 2009 16:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Bart is right of course, most accurate methodology is to model what you want. The Trace the Logo tutorial is groovy but you can also use Inkscape (Another open source software) to trace the bitmap into a path. Import the path file to Blender, and then convert that to a mesh. A decent tutorial on how to accomplish the Bitmap trace is located here:

http://www.inkscape.org/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

Alternatively, you can do what you have in mind from your current model. (Remove the Rectangle area)

Go into edit mode. and then change your Select mode to Faces. {CTRL+TAB+3}. Right click on any Face that is part of the rectangular area you want to get rid of, and then use the keyboard command {CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F} to select linked flat faces. It will pop up a prompt asking you the minimum angle, just select the default value {135}. This should select the flat area that you want to get rid of.
Re: Blender: From a modelled grid to a solid object [message #6472 is a reply to message #6411 ] Sat, 12 September 2009 15:03 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I'll use inkscape next time I'll ve some free time Wink
Thank you for your help and suggestions
Cya

Previous Topic:3dsMax export manifold bug
Next Topic:Frustrated with 3DS Max manifolds

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.