3D Relief Framed Micro-Paintings

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Innovo, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Innovo
    Innovo Member

Hi Shapies,

I'm making a new line of framed micro-paintings called ''3D History'', depicting famous photographs and artwork of important historical, artistic, scientific and sociopolitical background. These micro-paintings can be displayed on a desk, a bookself, glued on a wall (via blue tack or double sided tape/foam) or even used as elaborate fridge magnets, if magnets are attached on the back.
    My first two creations are:

'Nicola Tesla' 3D Relief Framed Micro-Painting

Tesla 1.jpg

'First Flight' 3D Relief Framed Micro-Painting

First Flight 1.jpg

2. 96635_deleted
    96635_deleted Member
    this is amazing! really great idea.

3. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    Thanks Carine, I have more little paintings on the way! :)

4. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That's a really cool idea.. I could see a set of like 6 of these side by side. Einstein, Bell, Marconi, Edison would all be good choices.

Then.. offer custom versions so that I can put my own picture in the same row.... <grin>

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    You would put Edison With Tesla?!?!
    I have Einstein, Tesla, and Da Vinci on my wall. 2D prints though.

6. Innovo
    Innovo Member

I would seriously consider Einstein (if I can find a photo with no license needed) and Da Vinci.
    I do however have a lot of other 3D reliefs in the pipeline. I have a lot of NASA candidates. :)

7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Careful of using astronauts as they have ip rights to the photos they appear in. I almost got sued by Buzz Aldrin once when I did a derivative of his picture on the moon for Zazzle. :laughing:

Yeah I wouldn't display Edison with Tesla either. :D

How about Newton, Archimedes, Aristotle, Plato and Socrates.

8. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    Thanks for the warning. I am mostly considering photographs with no astronauts or with spacesuits and no face showing (does that count? no face - no problem, right?).

Good suggestions, I will be mostly focusing on photographic material but everything's up for consideration.

9. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I don't know about that. Maybe for not so well known astronauts. The image I used was this one.

[​IMG]

He has a company that regularly sues people who use this photo for commercial purposes.

Most other photos produced by the US government are public domain, but you still need to check into each photo since there can be restrictions in some instances.

10. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    @UniverseBecoming

Alright then, no astronauts - no drama. Just to be on the safe side.