Home » Community » General Discussion » What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #64668] Fri, 22 March 2013 15:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar lanceatkins  is currently offline lanceatkins
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I'm going to be teaching a CAD+3d printing class. I'm a heavy solidworks user, but would like to teach the class with free or very affordable software so that people can keep making things.

So... I guess this is a poll. What software do you like best that is a great stair-step for new learners?

Thanks!
Re: What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #64690 is a reply to message #64668 ] Fri, 22 March 2013 22:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar FabMeJewelry  is currently offline FabMeJewelry
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Blender is a great piece of software that you can download for free, also got lots of toturials on youtube.

Wesley Günter - FabMeJewelry.com - Set a course, for the future !
Re: What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #64712 is a reply to message #64668 ] Sat, 23 March 2013 16:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
I teach Sketchup to newbies. I find they pick it up quickly and there are tons of tutorials online.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #64719 is a reply to message #64668 ] Sat, 23 March 2013 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
I "teach" blender and i don't think it is good idea (maybe it is only a local problem)
And you can make model for 3d printing in blender but i never consider it as CAD software Smile

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
Re: What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #64729 is a reply to message #64719 ] Sat, 23 March 2013 21:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I love Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0 This amazing software is comparable to Solidworks, but FREE!

Also, I love Truespace 7.6. For a free polygonal modeler it can't be beat. I actually started using Truespace way back when Truespace first came out. This is a commercial software that basically closed its doors and started allowing the software to be used for free.

If your students are young, then Trimble Sketchup is the choice. Sketchup was recently purchased from Google by Trimble. A person like yourself with your Solidworks background can start using Sketchup in about 5 minutes. It's extremely easy to learn. At times when I'm away from using my various 3D related software for months at a time, rather than relearn what I've forgotten, I'll usually grab Sketchup cuz I know I can pick it up and start using it in a matter of minutes. Also, it has an amazing 3D simulation plugin called Sketchyphysics.

As a side, look into MeshMixer and Sculptris too. These are used for digital sculpting and people love to play around with these just for fun.

A very popular 2D vector software is Inkscape. I normally use CorelDraw for 2D stuff, but there are times when Inkscape is more robust for certain operations.

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #64731 is a reply to message #64729 ] Sun, 24 March 2013 00:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
+1 for Truespace. I still love it.
But, a close second is OpenSCAD. It's not a 'drawing' program, but rather you build models in "code".

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: What free CAD software do you love? Teaching a CAD class and would like to hear your thoughts. [message #65315 is a reply to message #64668 ] Mon, 01 April 2013 18:33 UTC Go to previous message
avatar parrleu  is currently offline parrleu
Go to all my models
A couple really cool free options that I don't see here yet are:

• 123d suite - this has a CAD program, a converter to turn 3d into 2d slices, a clay like program for tablets, and a couple of other neat pieces of software - easy to use
  • 3dtin - super easy to use, and web based - better than TinkerCAD was for the things I've played around with in it

What a fun class to be teaching!
Heather

Previous Topic:Guidelines for critical dimensions and snap-fits?
Next Topic:Why not introduce an express service

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.